What are the laws regarding flying Phantom in FL

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone on the forum can shed some light to what are the actual laws regarding flying my Vision in FL or what are the laws of aerial photography in FL?

Thanks!

I haven't been able to find any specific laws. Here is a few rules I follow to avoid getting in trouble.

1. Get permission, I have model release forms and permission to photograph property forms that I use when I am not in a public place. When I am in a public place (ie. Volusia County Park) I find a Ranger and ask for verbal permission, hasn't been a problem so far.

2. Don't charge money, Fly for free. Charge for prints. The FAA technically can't do anything about you charging for flights but this seams to be where they are aiming their sights so avoid it.

3. Use www.skyvector.com and some common sense. Zoom in on your area and use the "FLY" map, I use "ORLANDO FLY" Inside of a dark shaded area stay under 100ft and avoid any airports. Note that there are small airports that are not shaded or circled, know where they are before you fly because there are more than you think.

I did have a Volusia County Sheriff Helicopter come within a few hundred feet of my P2V while I was at 300ft a few weeks ago. I was taking an aerial photo for a client. I landed immediately and called them, their response was a brief hold then "The pilot was just curious, everything is ok."

Byrdimaging said:
I haven't been able to find any specific laws. Here is a few rules I follow to avoid getting in trouble.

1. Get permission, I have model release forms and permission to photograph property forms that I use when I am not in a public place. When I am in a public place (ie. Volusia County Park) I find a Ranger and ask for verbal permission, hasn't been a problem so "

Been thinking of heading up to Blue Springs and asking if I could fly over the springs while the Manatee are there (actually I don't know if they are still there or not). Have you tried this?

jondrew said:
Byrdimaging said:

1. Get permission, I have model release forms and permission to photograph property forms that I use when I am not in a public place. When I am in a public place (ie. Volusia County Park) I find a Ranger and ask for verbal permission, hasn't been a problem so "

Been thinking of heading up to Blue Springs and asking if I could fly over the springs while the Manatee are there (actually I don't know if they are still there or not). Have you tried this?

Unfortunately most parks don't allow it. My friend took a shot of this a week ago at Myakka State Park knowing I had recently gotten a Phantom. I think they see it as a liability so if you ask, they'll probably say no.

Mike

Attachments

• {Q}IMAG0917.jpg
    {Q}IMAG0917.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 655
Well... I live in FL.

My rule is to stay away from airports and people, the rest I just fly pretty much everywhere. Even off of the back yard of my building and never had a problem (so far)

mikeydaddio said:
jondrew said:
Byrdimaging said:

Unfortunately most parks don't allow it. My friend took a shot of this a week ago at Myakka State Park knowing I had recently gotten a Phantom. I think they see it as a liability so if you ask, they'll probably say no.

Mike

That sign is pretty clear

That Myakka State Park sign is really pretty clever. You'll find all manner of opinion on this forum about what laws regards flying "models" actually exist (or not), and a fair amount of consensus that jurisdiction in US airspace belongs solely to the FAA. However there's little debate that property owners (including governments) control what can and can't be done on their property. Others have pointed out the same approach is taken in many national parks. Who controls the air may be fuzzy, but who controls the ground is usually not.

Visioneer said:
That Myakka State Park sign is really pretty clever. You'll find all manner of opinion on this forum about what laws regards flying "models" actually exist (or not), and a fair amount of consensus that jurisdiction in US airspace belongs solely to the FAA. However there's little debate that property owners (including governments) control what can and can't be done on their property. Others have pointed out the same approach is taken in many national parks. Who controls the air may be fuzzy, but who controls the ground is usually not.

Absolutely true. It doesn't matter too much who controls the air in this situation because they specifically say take off from or land on park property. I have not seen any of these signs but most of the parks I go to are volusia county parks. Maybe the state parks have them, I will look for them next time though Thank you.

Byrdimaging said:
Visioneer said:

Absolutely true. It doesn't matter too much who controls the air in this situation because they specifically say take off from or land on park property. I have not seen any of these signs but most of the parks I go to are volusia county parks. Maybe the state parks have them, I will look for them next time though Thank you.

It is clever, however... it leaves it open to interpretation that people can step just outside park property, take off, fly all they want over the actual park property, and as long as they bring it back and land outside park property they are following the rules.

Mike

mikeydaddio said:
It is clever, however... it leaves it open to interpretation that people can step just outside park property, take off, fly all they want over the actual park property, and as long as they bring it back and land outside park property they are following the rules.

Mike

That is the type of behavior that causes problems. I understand the legal aspect, and the fact that you are technically correct however, the people that do this will just be fueling the FAA's argument that all drone pilots are reckless law skirting individuals and must be regulated. I'm not saying you are Mike, I just don't want others to take your comment as advise.

Think of it like this, if we as a community do not cause any problems, public complaints, or cost the FAA any money. Then any legislation they try to pass will be met with one big question, "Why". "Why regulate something that is not a problem, danger, or cost?" Then again this is our federal government I'm taking about, nevermind.

That's what I love about Tennessee. We have a local state park that among many things provides FREE for anyone who wants to use it a pretty nice R/C off road track and a paved runway for R/C planes and choppers. I don't think theres even any rules posted. They also provide boat ramp access to the river and tons of mountain bike trails around the park.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers