What are carbon props meant to do again?

Reaction score
I am addicted to trying to add stuff to my P2V+. I have the wider landing gear, an LED rig (2 actually, 1 just for the little power clip that slips over the battery prongs to do other powered stuff with) and everything else I could find. I also purchased a set of carbon fibre props even before my P2V+ arrived from DJI.

So I thought I was ripped off when one of the black tipped props would not tighten when installed. After a try yesterday it went on nicely. I can't explain why it now works but I think it's just a bit of a dodgy product. But a few in door prop spin ups and thrust but no take off gave me enough confidence to try the out late this arvy.

It seems more responsive in terms of my slight movements have an effect on the P2V+'s movement, but with reasonable wind it also seemed to pick up more turbulence. While this was only minor - still made me wonder. The fact that the carbon props seem a hell of a lot more dangerous and only give me a tiny advantage with manoeuvrability and seem to be more effected by the wind - so is it worth it? I like having them as they look cool but that is really all I see them useful for. Especially if I don't want to lose my fingers when I (I know, I know - this is dumb) grab it out of the sky and power it down instead of trying to land it with wind.

What's your experience/thoughts?

I think the general consensus is to stay with the original props. I have not seen anything posted that has shown me installing CF props has any benefits.

xgeek said:
I think the general consensus is to stay with the original props. I have not seen anything posted that has shown me installing CF props has any benefits.

Yey! So I am not alone :)

They are "meant" to be lighter and stiffer... lighter means less rotating mass and will spin up quicker and respond to control inputs quicker... stiffer means less vibration and better tracking at speed ... SUPPOSEDLY

IF they were made properly... IF they were pitched properly... IF they were balanced properly ... then some of the things above might be true ... but most of the cheap carbon props out there don't do very well at all because they are cheaply made.

I think if a decent set actually came along they would easily be in the 50 to 60 dollar range ... and then it would be like driving a shifter cart with no springs... very responsive but they would feel every little bump in the airflow instead of flexing a bit to smooth out the small stuff.

DBS said:
stiffer means less vibration and better tracking at speed ... SUPPOSEDLY

I remember seeing a video awhile back that explained that the flexibility of the DJI props were better for vibration and smooth flight over stiffer props. I can't find it now, but the explanation was pretty compelling.

stiffer is not good in fast flight because the blade that advance has more lift that the retracting blade
being flexible, the blade are free to compensate that effect ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissymmetry_of_lift
Dissymmetry is countered by "blade flapping": rotor blades are designed to flap – lift and twist in such a way that the advancing blade flaps up and develops a smaller angle of attack, thus producing less lift than a rigid blade would. Conversely, the retreating blade flaps down, develops a higher angle of attack, and generates more lift.

CmB said:
Carbon props are also quite good if you are attempting to cut off any of your limbs !!

See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_LZOc (not for the squeamish by the way)

With all due respect, what kind of idiot gets that close to spinning blades? Who did he think he was, Jack Newton?
Would he stick his hand in a blender while it's spinning?

A lot of so-called CF props are nylon props covered in CF. I personally prefer CF props as the majority of the time I am flying slow or hovering to capture video or stills and I think it hovers more smoothly. However, I use ARRIS 9443 NON self-tightening genuine CF props because they can be balanced easier on a prop balancer as apposed to self-tightening ones with the nut in the middle. If you choose to go this way you need to ensure you get a high quality CF prop with they keyed centre to fit on the notched motor shaft. Also use threadlock & props nuts.

** Be aware CF props are deadly sharp and will take a finger clean off** When flying with any props, CF or plastic, stay away from people & use common sense: Fly responsibly, be aware of your surroundings & don't attract undue attention to yourself!

In fact, do a risk assessment. What are the risks if I fly here? Who or what is likely to get hurt if something goes wrong? What are the consequences if someone is injured?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
CmB said:
Carbon props are also quite good if you are attempting to cut off any of your limbs !!

See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_LZOc (not for the squeamish by the way)

With all due respect, what kind of idiot gets that close to spinning blades? Who did he think he was, Jack Newton?
Would he stick his hand in a blender while it's spinning?

When this clip was first posted i thought exactly the same thing. I still cannot work out exactly what he was trying to do (unless it was trying to injure himself) :shock:

All I know about carbon fiber props are that both my son flying an FC-40 and I, flying a P2V, both had a "prop-wash" crash with CF props on. I have over 50 flights on my P2V in the same general area and that was the only time I experienced "prop-wash". More than coincidence?

i know theres a lot of negative feedback on CF props. personally if my kit did not come with them i would never have ordered them after hearing some concerning operating issues.
I currently fly the DSLRPros carbon blades. retail is like 50 bucks i think. they are super light and rigid.
My phantom is loaded up with FPV, iosd mini, and h3-3d. gains are set to factory. i have not hit the Default button and had them reset like everyone else yet. today i updated to 3.04 and everything seems to work great.
I have had about 8 flights with the new CF props and haven't experienced prop wash or VRS as of yet. (knock on wood)
so far the DSLRPros specific CF props are working great for me.

who else uses DSLRPros CF props? :shock:

urgno said:
stiffer is not good in fast flight because the blade that advance has more lift that the retracting blade
being flexible, the blade are free to compensate that effect ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissymmetry_of_lift
Dissymmetry is countered by "blade flapping": rotor blades are designed to flap – lift and twist in such a way that the advancing blade flaps up and develops a smaller angle of attack, thus producing less lift than a rigid blade would. Conversely, the retreating blade flaps down, develops a higher angle of attack, and generates more lift.

+ about 15 and then some.

Petereesha said:
All I know about carbon fiber props are that both my son flying an FC-40 and I, flying a P2V, both had a "prop-wash" crash with CF props on. I have over 50 flights on my P2V in the same general area and that was the only time I experienced "prop-wash". More than coincidence?

I had the complete opposite happen, I left the CF props on the bench top by mistake. When I got to the field where I was going to fly I realized I left them behind. I had a brand new set of plastic DJI props with me so I opened the packet, screwed them on and off she went... Flight lasted 40sec and got about 50ft off the ground, down it came.... S M A S H
So who knows...?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie