What angle?

Reaction score
I am kind of new to taking pictures with a Quad and I was wondering what angle in relation to the horizon when flying level most of the Phantom fliers were setting their cameras? I run mine so that the camera lens is parallel with the bottom of the skids and shooting "straight out". Would I get a better picture composition with it angled down somewhat?

depends on what camera you're using, and what the settings are.
with a gimbal the camera will stay level when the quad pitches back and forth and side to side, so if you go forward, the front rotors drop a little bit (more if you go faster) and may come into your pic. going sideways you might see the legs come into view if you're lens is set to wide
If you are using a gopro or you have a wifi or bluetooth enabled camera that will let you preview, best thing I've found is to test fly it with preview, adjust tilt accordingly and, then go live.
If you've got FPV then you can do that on the fly.

For me it just depends on what you're shooting and what angle will look best with it. Straight-on isn't usually effective unless your capturing something way off from an altitude, like a sunset or a mountain range. Usually you'll want some amount of angle shot from above, otherwise you're just getting shots you could have achieved without the Phantom (i.e. straight-on shots from 10ft or less).

If you're not sure what altitude/angle to use on a particular subject, shoot it from several and see what looks best afterwards...that's why having an adjustable gimbal can be so useful.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4