What am I missing (what don't I need)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the multi rotor scene but flew RC hellis many years ago before the family thing, now the kids have grown... a friend came over with his phantom a while back... so I had to get the V2+ (just arrived).

After reading through here extensively I have came to the conclusion that the V2+ will not be enough and I am going to build an F550.

I have a few questions on what all I need (or don't need). My shopping cart at Helipal consists of:

Futaba 14GS
DJI F450 Centre Board (just incase I want to downsize)
DJI F550 Center Board
DJI Falmewheel Arms (X8)
DJI A2 Gyro System
DJI E300 (6 prop) Propulsion System
DJI Landing Gear
DJI IOSD MK II
DJI AVL58 FPV System
DJI iPad Ground Station w/Bluetooth Module
7" Monitor
Storm FPV Mount

I have a GoPro H3 already and could not find the Zenmuse H3 3D on the heliPal site so I can get that locally, I will also get the batteries locally.

Is there anything that I am missing or anything redundant that I don't need.

I'd appreciate some of the experts to let me know if I'm on the right track and/or steer me in the right direction ;) .

In turn I will document the build and share :ugeek:

Thanks

Matt

If you're not planning on adding a second FPV camera later, you can save a little money with the iOSD and get the mini instead of the mkII...it displays the same info.

Might want to add these two

( GPS tracking unit ( ie: global tracker TK-102b )
Or comparable?

And

FLYTREX CORE 2 ( black box )
( record, speed, altitude, temp, ect. )
Lots of good to know info!

Hope this helps!

My A2 system came with iOSD MKII. The one at Helipal also does so I think it may be standard. Should be for the price. ;-}

You will find a lot of things to buy as you put it together. Get the main pieces as you've outlined and start having fun. You can get the H3-3D from B&H at a good price... and they ship quickly.

Also, you will need a GCU for the gimbal. You can use the H3-2D if you can't find the H3-3D (AFAIK it isn't shipping as yet).

OI Photography said:
If you're not planning on adding a second FPV camera later, you can save a little money with the iOSD and get the mini instead of the mkII...it displays the same info.

ladykate said:
My A2 system came with iOSD MKII. The one at Helipal also does so I think it may be standard. Should be for the price. ;-}

You will find a lot of things to buy as you put it together. Get the main pieces as you've outlined and start having fun. You can get the H3-3D from B&H at a good price... and they ship quickly.

Also, you will need a GCU for the gimbal. You can use the H3-2D if you can't find the H3-3D (AFAIK it isn't shipping as yet).

Yes, the A2 comes with the IOSD MKII at HeliPal, I only plan on one camera.... for now... ;)

J Dot said:
Might want to add these two

( GPS tracking unit ( ie: global tracker TK-102b )
Or comparable?

And

FLYTREX CORE 2 ( black box )
( record, speed, altitude, temp, ect. )
Lots of good to know info!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I did order a Flytrex for my V2+ but have not received it yet...

Hello Matt ( WCW )
There is a discrepancy in the flytrex instructions,
The unit runs with or without SD card, if you run without,
To get flight data from flytrex unit, you have to start in backup mode,
The instructions tells us to create an EMPTY " backup.txt " text file on SD
Card under Root menu, it is not " backup.txt ", it is ACTUALLY " backup " not backup.txt
Just a typo most likely, but I waster 9 missions figuring it out, turning phantom on-off-on-off-ect.
Trying to transfer my first real mission, I forgot to plug SD card in, got excited I guess?
I got completely confused about this, but finally figured it out!

Just wanted to let you know, which you may already know?

Take care, and good show! Looks like you've done your homework!
Keep up the great work! Looking forward to your completed build!

Take care, fly safe!

WetCoastWillie said:
Hi,

I'm new to the multi rotor scene but flew RC hellis many years ago before the family thing, now the kids have grown... a friend came over with his phantom a while back... so I had to get the V2+ (just arrived).

After reading through here extensively I have came to the conclusion that the V2+ will not be enough and I am going to build an F550.

I have a few questions on what all I need (or don't need). My shopping cart at Helipal consists of:

Futaba 14GS
DJI F450 Centre Board (just incase I want to downsize)
DJI F550 Center Board
DJI Falmewheel Arms (X8)
DJI A2 Gyro System
DJI E300 (6 prop) Propulsion System
DJI Landing Gear
DJI IOSD MK II
DJI AVL58 FPV System
DJI iPad Ground Station w/Bluetooth Module
7" Monitor
Storm FPV Mount

I have a GoPro H3 already and could not find the Zenmuse H3 3D on the heliPal site so I can get that locally, I will also get the batteries locally.

Is there anything that I am missing or anything redundant that I don't need.

I'd appreciate some of the experts to let me know if I'm on the right track and/or steer me in the right direction ;) .

In turn I will document the build and share :ugeek:

Thanks

Matt

It's about time...

Helipal showed it packing for 5 days, DHL held it in a customs hold for the $43.56 duties and taxes owed (what a joke, most real couriers will make a delivery attempt and collect at the door), but now the DHL website shows "with delivery courier".

I feel like a kid on christmas eve... waiting for it to be morning so I can open my presents.

:D :D :D

I'm confused....so did you decide to get the RTF from Heli-Pal and just add what it's missing to meet your needs?

No, I decided to do a custom build.

Ordered what you see in the parts list, now I see the H3-3D is in stock so I'll get that along with a couple of batteries and a dual charger.

By the time I'm finished building the rest of the stuff should be here :D

Cheers!

Matt

Helipal has the H3-3D with a proper mount and GCU for 399. The mount allows for the top clearance. Kinda nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic