What am I doing wrong (w/video link)?

I think the Surface 3 uses an Intel Atom CPU. Those are pretty weak so the weak link might actually be the CPU or the video GPU. The system might not have enough grunt for 1080/60. Also, I've not used Movie Maker but most video editing software has a preview in the editor and most of those previews are "draft mode" previews that don't look very good. So if it just looks worse when editing, I wouldn't worry about it. If it looks worse when the original MP4 or MOV is being played (by the TV and Movie Player or Windows Media Player), it might just be that the Surface tablets just aren't the best for video editing and it's struggling a bit.

Mike

I totally missed that it was a Surface 3 and not a 3 Pro. That is probably the week link. The video looked good on my Mac, so try it on another computer.

Anyone care to give advice on what my weakest links are as far as recording great videos? What should I upgrade yup see the biggest improvement? Ie...use different computer, use better sd card, etc.

Thanks?
First things first. Get a set of ND filters... Polar pro has a very good set. Video is only as good as the source. So... Make certain. That you are shooting at the best resolution for your video. I shoot 4K max resolution... The camera should be set to record flat video. Use the dlog settings. It should look dull out of the camera. Set your ISO to 100. Set your desired frame rate... Multiply your frame rate by 2 to get the appropriate shutter speed.

For example - I shoot 24fps... The appropriate shutter speed is 48.. So set the shutter speed to the closest number to 48. Turn on your P3. Note the exposure value (EV).. Apply the appropriate filter that gets your EV closest to 0. -shoot your video-
Use a professional application(I use the Adobe suite) to edit and color grade my videos...
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jmedrone
Oh as far as computers go if you have money to burn just get yourself a Mac Pro that's the simple choice...Or buy the best gaming computer you can find it will cost less than the pro and deliver similar performance. The important factors for the computer should be processing cores/processing speed. Next Ram and believe it or not CUDA cores and RAM on the video card. I can give you a great source for building a workstation for 4K editing. When I started my business years ago I used them and the DIY workstation they built.

If you are ambitious check out videoguys DIY workstations they have a parts list for some great workstations that are purpose built for video editing..

Videoguys' DIY 11: How to Build an Affordable Editing & Streaming Workstation with Balanced Components for the Best Performance - Videoguys Blog

This build is about a year old. I'm betting it will burn the doors off a MacBook Pro and cost less to boot. Not to mention as your computing needs increase you can upgrade RAM, video cards, etc to keep up..which is the main reason to go with a desktop.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic