What am I doing wrong (w/video link)?

Reaction score
I just bought a Phantom 3 Advanced and I'm wanting to put a video on Youtube of our house that just went on the market.

Here is what I have: Phantom 3 advanced with the SD card that came with the drone, Transend USB 3.0 SD card reader, using my Samsung Note 5 (Nvidia tablet on order), video setting 1080 60 frames/sec, DJI app, Microsoft Surface 3 running Windows 10, Microsoft Movie Maker.

The video on my Surface 3 doesn't look very clear when viewing straight from the SD card (not downloading to the computer). It doesn't look anything like HD. Once I upload it to youtube it looks better but still could be more clear.

What is the weakest links in my setup? How can I get clearer videos?

Thanks in advance!

I guess I didn't realize this actually would be somewhat for commercial reasons so this would be a violation. I won't use the drone for my home's video. For other videos ie. record my son playing in the yard, etc I will have the same problem.

Any advice on what my weakest link is and how to get the videos to be a little more clear?

Last edited:
I just bought a Phantom 3 Advanced and I'm wanting to put a video on Youtube of our house that just went on the market.

Here is what I have: Phantom 3 advanced with the SD card that came with the drone, Transend USB 3.0 SD card reader, using my Samsung Note 5 (Nvidia tablet on order), video setting 1080 60 frames/sec, DJI app, Microsoft Surface 3 running Windows 10, Microsoft Movie Maker.

The video on my Surface 3 doesn't look very clear when viewing straight from the SD card (not downloading to the computer). It doesn't look anything like HD. Once I upload it to youtube it looks better but still could be more clear.

What is the weakest links in my setup? How can I get clearer videos?

Thanks in advance!
to answer you question what format are you saving the files and are you looking at the file from the drone or from your Samsung Note. Both records but the one on the tablet is less quality. Next are you using any editing software afterwards. If your are it maybe saving to a lower quality. and last Mark is trying to help you. You may think it's not commercial purposes but in the eye's of the Government you are.
Hope this helps. Also if you do upload to Youtube it takes a few extra minutes before it shows in HD. So if you uplaod it and look at it right away it won't show HD as a setting. go back after a few minutes and re check.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'm recording the video in .MOV format and using the SD card from the drone not the Note 5. The editing software I'm using is Windows Movie Maker.

I just looked at the video and it looked pretty sharp. I find that the .mov format seems more HD than a video converted to .mp4 or others.

Reactions: jmedrone
You guys are right the video does look pretty sharp now. Thanks!

If you guys don't mind while I have this thread here... What is my weakest links for creating videos using my new toy?

Thanks again!

You guys are right the video does look pretty sharp now. Thanks!

If you guys don't mind while I have this thread here... What is my weakest links for creating videos using my new toy?

Thanks again!

4 of the biggest weak links to drone flying are: Trees, Buildings, Water and the ground:) When your drone is not in direct or rapid contact with any of those, you're in generally good shape.

Just wanted to add that sometimes it takes YouTube a very long time to process a video. Someone here uploaded a 4K video, and all of the other choices, like 720 and 1080, were not available for almost 30 minutes!!

If the video is of your house that is up for sale then this might be a gray area. It's not like your real estate agent is doing it. If you took pictures of your house that you posted to YouTube (personal) and then later your agent (commercial) linked to "existing" video... Like I said, gray. Any lawyers or FAA want to chime in? I'd really like to have it clarified. Where exactly is the line?

Please don't highjack this thread!

Please read all my posts above!

I will not be creating a video for my home because I believe it's against the rules.

Anyone care to give advice on what my weakest links are as far as recording great videos? What should I upgrade yup see the biggest improvement? Ie...use different computer, use better sd card, etc.

Thanks?

Thanks!

I'm recording the video in .MOV format and using the SD card from the drone not the Note 5. The editing software I'm using is Windows Movie Maker.
I use MP4 that is what I was told works and is one of the formats that youtube likes. and as MPPilot said this is a gray area for the FAA. this all being some what new. they had been filing charges to people. you may want to do a search on this topic.

The YouTube videos are clear but the videos are not clear at all on my Surface 3 using Microsoft Movie Maker.

Any ideas on how to improve the video quality on my computer?

Thanks!

Please don't highjack this thread!

Please read all my posts above!

I will not be creating a video for my home because I believe it's against the rules.

Anyone care to give advice on what my weakest links are as far as recording great videos? What should I upgrade yup see the biggest improvement? Ie...use different computer, use better sd card, etc.

Thanks?
what you can do is play around with the setting and get use to them and there location. There is some filter you can buy to put on the lens. The best thing it just play around with the setting and controls of the drone

The YouTube videos are clear but the videos are not clear at all on my Surface 3 using Microsoft Movie Maker.

Any ideas on how to improve the video quality on my computer?

Thanks!
what setting do you have your Surface 3 set it. See if you can set it higher. if you have a smart tv see if you can cast screen to it.

Sounds to me like you need to load the video from the sd card to the pc and edit and post from there. Then you will see the hd that you are looking for.

I haven't used the Surface 3 much but what i remember is it had a really nice looking screen. If you are not getting what you want it is either hardware or software. Try hooking the Surface to a good computer monitor and see if that helps. Software wise trying displaying using VLC rather than Movie Maker. VLC is free and works with about any format. One other option, do you have another computer with another more powerful video card you can try it on?

Sorry, wasn't trying to hijack.

Reactions: jmedrone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20