What am I doing wrong. Help Please.

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Gfe3zC ... load_owner

I recalibrated.
I am using 3.14
I have posted this short video of two flights. The first one ended badly, most likely because I didn't do the compass dance, which I did before the second one.

It was hovering pretty well, but as soon as I tried to do a turn, I lost control again.

Does anyone think I have broken something? The calibration and control testing went just fine.

I am using a DX8 now, and not the Phantom controller.
The Gumbal is powered off the AUX power on the Phantom. Can that be the issue?

All comments and suggestions will be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks

Darren

Looking at the trees , there seems to be quite a high wind speed, and it does pick up speed quickly going downwind before the second crash, could the wind speed be the cause of the difficult hover.

What flight mode are you using? I wonder if you're in Manual mode which would explain why you are fighting with it.

If you let us know the modes your using it will help, I tried look very closely at the LED but the camera may not pick the colour up too well.

It looks yellow on the first flight so that would be ATTI mode? and in this mode you need to fight the wind as all it does is auto level. With a bit of wind its easy to get yourself in trouble when first learning in this mode. It does look like ATTI with the takeoff going down wind and then it seems you are fighting the controls overcorrecting to the right against the wind. In GPS mode here you should be able to let go of the sticks for it to hover even in a stronger wind then this. There were no red flashes seen all video so GPS receptions looks ok.

Second Flight it looks yellow at takeoff so ATTI but soon after green GPS, ther it hovers ok and its pitching itself into the wind off the right as expected in that mode. Then as you start your pattern I cant see the LED any more but it does fly as expected in ATTI mode with a wind coming off the right. Turning down wind it will accelerate fairly quickly with any forward pitch angle so you need to be very aware of wind direction.

I could be wrong on the modes as the GREEN and YELLOW just may not be picked up properly on camera but the only green flashes I am seeing is at around 24 seconds in on the second takeoff. Where you changing modes at all or was this all supposed to be in GPS mode?

You may want to try a much more open field to experiment with the other modes especially if there is a bit of wind, if this was all in GPS then I dont know whats going on here.

Here are my thought:

I can't see the led, so you may be flying in the MANUAL mode as the others mentioned.

Also since you switched to the DX8, you should make sure that you have all the channels (servo throw) in the correct NOR/REV setup.
You can have some one hold the Phantom and check all stick responses. I think I made that mistake when I switched to the DX8 too.

I'm hearing a strange "wheeeeeee" noise in both vids, that gets really loud in the second vid when it veers off to the side and visits the weeds? Don't know if it means anything.......bad motor?

Slug

I thought I was in GPS mode both times.

I'm thinking there is something wrong with the way I programmed the DX8, so I am considering switching back t the Phantom original radio.

Also, I am wondering if it is due to powering the gimbal off the aux power in the phantom. I have read somewhere that people sometimes have such a draw when they take off that sometimes the led changes to yellow, or that the phantom changes into ATTI or manual because it robs power from the GPS.

Not sure.

I plan on trying again a little later this week. Busy with work right now.

Darren

CameraGuy said:
I thought I was in GPS mode both times.

I'm thinking there is something wrong with the way I programmed the DX8, so I am considering switching back t the Phantom original radio.

Also, I am wondering if it is due to powering the gimbal off the aux power in the phantom. I have read somewhere that people sometimes have such a draw when they take off that sometimes the led changes to yellow, or that the phantom changes into ATTI or manual because it robs power from the GPS.

Not sure.

I plan on trying again a little later this week. Busy with work right now.

Darren

If the voltage drop, for example the rapid climb you may get RED flash so led changes to YELLOW is not correct.
Also, the 3 flying modes (GPS, ATTI, MANUAL) won't be changed by itself but if the voltage drops; first stage RED flash, second stage it will land itself. If the communication between the TX and RX is lost, then the RTH is activated.

Darren when you are in Naza assistant is your mode switch working properly? possibly you may not have set this up properly with your new radio if its not staying in the mode your radio is switched to. If you look at your original of that video you posted you may get a better look at the rear LED and see if its flashing green or amber.

The phantom switches automatically from GPS to ATTI mode if you lose GPS signal but I didnt see any red flashes there so it shouldnt do that, but a lot of the flying there looks to be in ATTI mode by how its flying and the light mostly looks amber to me too.

Oh man, I feel your pain watching that video! :(. I wish I could contribute something useful, but it was hard to actually see what the LED status was doing, it looked like amber? I have flown in wind comparable to what you were flying in and have never had anything close to that happen with my Phantom. I can hover in a small area for as long as the battery can last without touching the controller at all, so something not right if you were in GPS mode. I hope you get this figured out before something more seriois happens, the best of luck getting it sorted!

Original radio installed, and an advanced calibration and a controller calibration has been done.

New props, charged batteries, now I am just waiting for a little calmer wind to give it a try.

Perhaps the DX 8 was beyond my abilities.

Darren

Did you program your DX8 in the air plane mode?
It should be in the air plane mode NOT helicopter.

It was in Helicopter mode, and I downloaded a file to configure it from someone on rc groups who built one for the Phantom.

It should have worked properly. I believe it was better under 3.12

These updates that DJI is doing to the NAZA are making changes they are not talking about I believe. There is another similar thread under "Don't do the firmware Updates". I think that fellow has it right.

If the changes I made don't fix it, I will down grade to a version 2.x, which was stable as could be for me.

D

Regarding firmware updates for most people the simple "if its not broke dont fix it" rule applies, just because an update comes out you dont need to apply it if everything is working as you like.

Each time you update there may be more changes that you will need to address and for me I dont mind this but not recommended for most. If the update gives a feature that you really need to have then go ahead and update it but you will also need to find a way to deal with any changes and make you properly test everything especially if you are using a modified setup in any way. If you have no issues and want to avoid any possible issues then dont update and things will stay the same for you.

DJI would test things with their own setup but using non standard parts may have a different effect to what you have and so results may be different and after making modification you are doing it all at your own risk and future updates may have a negative effect.

One major change in the more recent firmwares has been the advanced receiver protection function since 3.12 this may require you to setup your radio slightly differently with this enabled but you could simply try to disable it in Naza assistant and see if its causing your issues.

OK, So I learned some stuff.

1. Check out the last video:

http://youtu.be/3lwVy9-OhIc

2. The Phantom is fine, but, and I noticed this when I tried to launch, one of the motors is sticking. I think that explains the control problem.

Now, how do I figure out if it is the motor or the esc.

Or....

I am thinking about spending $199, buying a DJI 450 kit, and transplanting the Phantom's NAZA.

Comments

Darren

If the LED is flashing green and yellow then you may be in Course Lock mode.

When you set up the DX8 TX,or any after market TX,if you put the IOC on a two position switch you must set it up so you have OFF and Course Lock or OFF and Home Lock.It is not good to have a two position switch set to Course Lock and Home lock.

If you are using firmware version 3.14 or 3.16 there may be a problem with Course Lock.
If I select Course Lock the phantom will get stuck in CL.If I switch to Home Lock and fly on and then turn,during the turn the IOC reverts to Course Lock and sometimes the directional controls will be inverted/reversed as well.
I need to switch IOC off to regain control.

These things could be contributing to your control issues.Something to look into anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl