What a difference balancing the props makes!

Reaction score
I saw a similar one that had before and after comparisons.

One thing to be aware of when using the Du Bro is that the Phantom props have those flats inside the shaft hole. You have to use the flat side of the centering cones on the front side of the prop or else it won't center properly.

Thanks Kurt. Those are from a GoPro Hero 2 shooting 720p60. I am using the standard GoPro waterproof mount instead of the Phantom unit as I want the camera protected if I crash. I also have the WiFi unit on the camera so that I can start/stop the camera remotely.

Be aware of using Wifi and the radio control together as they both use frequencies in the same band and I seem to recall reading on another forum somewhere that there was an issue.

There is a potential problem there as WiFi using 802.11 b or g is using 2.4GHz the same as the radios on the Phantom/Controller. WiFi using 802.11 a and n use 5Ghz. I've seen comments that suggest the Hero WiFi backpack is using 802.11n but I've also seen some packet sniffing traces that say it is using 'b'. Don't know for sure.

So far though I haven't seen any indication that its use is interfering with the operation of the Phantom. The converse may not be true as the streaming/controlling range with it seems to be a lot shorter than I remember.

I really just need to get a FPV video streaming setup so I can get a good video feed back to me when the Phantom is just a little white dot in the sky. :lol:

I've read about the possible wifi conflicts as well ... but never actually heard/read of people actually having actual issues or crashes due to it.
Not really sure if it's just people crying wolf or not, because some neighborhoods are inundated with 2.8ghz wifi, cordless phones,.etc. But probably better to leave it off. (but it's GREAT for setting up compared to using the GoPro's built in screen, especially when it's mounted on the Phantom upside down)

I usually try to remember to turn bluetooth off prior to takeoff, as it's pretty useless once the Phantom is in the air.. the 4 second delay makes it almost unusable, and the one time I let my buddy try viewing remotely, he lost signal when it was about a hundred feet up. FPV it is not.

I'm now considering one of those FPV setups as well, this hobby is getting pricey, but kinda fun.

Well just got in the DU-BRO balancer. If I can say one thing about the stock props from DJI they are OUT OF BALANCE.
I was amazed there was not one prop which came close to being in balance. Has got to make a huge difference in
vibration.

Yes, I agree that prop balancing makes a huge difference with the quality of video footage. If using a GoPro, use the hard clear protective housing that came with your gopro for added stabalizing. The heavier weight acts as a balast to stabalize any vibrations that would try to reach the camera. It really does help, try video with and then without the protective housing to see the difference.

Hello Guys,

+1 for the props balancing : I wasn't really convinced first until today !
I got myself a 3€ props balancer (the one you hold with 2 fingers), I balanced my props and, to be more accurate, I hold the balancer with 2 small glass bottles (small medics bottles) so that there is less friction than the fingers. I placed tape on the props to balance.
I flew and I could notice already that the noise was different.
For the video it's night and day !
If I would change my props I would first make sure they are correctly balanced !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic