What 5.8Ghz Frequency?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a 32ch vTx and 32ch Diversity monitor which work fine, i've managed 1.2km out of it so far, but wondering what 5.8Ghz frequency people recommend for longer range out of their FPV setup? I've tried about 10 now, but will take me another week to try all 32 :)

Any advice?

Kind regards

The higher frequency 5.8GHz band has less range than the lower 2.4Ghz band. Logic would suggest that the lowest frequency in the 5.8GHz band would have the longest range of the frequencies in the 5.8GHz band. Assuming no other external factors like radio traffic on adjacent (lower) frequencies affecting the signal.

The difference will likely be pretty small/minimal though.

You could test the difference in range between the highest and the lowest frequency in the 5.8GHz band available to you.

You just posted before I added something. So this is to make sure you won't miss it.

You won't see noticeable attenuation differences within the 5.8GHz ISM band. There is anecdotal evidence that says the lower channels have more power than the upper ones but unless the VTX is set up to amplify each channel differently (doubtful) then the laws of physics dictate the differences to be less than observable in this application. There may be other reasons why one channel would work over another but there will be negligible attenuation differences between the lower channels and the upper channels.

Others would say use the middle frequencies as they are closest to the tuned frequencies of the antennas (assuming they're tuned to the center point).

ianwood said:
Others would say use the middle frequencies as they are closest to the tuned frequencies of the antennas (assuming they're tuned to the center point).

Yeah lots of times that's the best logic to use, however with FPV there's the issue that the antennae will be tuned for the whole 5.8GHz band, but the tx/rx you're using may limit you to one section of the band, which may or may not be centered on the band's (and antennae) center point.

Etiher way, you're right that the differences would be negligible at best, and would probably only help if the Tx and Rx were at static (non-moving) locations

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj