whales and dolphins off of Poipu Beach

Reaction score
hey everyone! joined a couple months ago when I bought my P3P. I came across these two whales and a pod of dolphins playing off the south shore on the island of Kauai yesterday. still getting used to filming/tracking subjects and editing. any feedback is appreciated! thanks!

Reactions: gez, HMR and Simmsy
be very careful what you post about whales, getting to close can get you in trouble. not sure if its any particular whales but something to consider

be very careful what you post about whales, getting to close can get you in trouble. not sure if its any particular whales but something to consider
thanks for the heads up. I'm not aware of any specific rules about whales and drones. at least not in the US. I do my best to follow NOAA's guidelines and from my experience I have enough altitude that the animals don't even notice.

God I was worried there... For a moment I thought you meant travelling down the M4 man....

Just ended my day watching this. Thanks so much for sharing... What a wonderful world.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jordkl
That is a really cool video and I bet there would be marine biologists interested in seeing the inter-specific behavior (competition). I've seen whales and dolphins diving and feeding together only once in the Sea of Cortez. Your capture is amazing and a lucky find! Be sure to read up on the Marine Mammal Protection Act: Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) :: NOAA Fisheries

That is a really cool video and I bet there would be marine biologists interested in seeing the inter-specific behavior (competition). I've seen whales and dolphins diving and feeding together only once in the Sea of Cortez. Your capture is amazing and a lucky find! Be sure to read up on the Marine Mammal Protection Act: Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) :: NOAA Fisheries

I appreciate the comment and the info from NOAA. There's also this page which is specific guidelines for UAVs. In case anyone here is interested. The safe aerial distance is 300 yards which is farther than boats with propellers that actually do damage are allowed. I want to be close enough to be able to capture this amazing behavior and far enough way not to disturb this amazing behavior. It was amazing to be able to see this from the air.

Nice shot. Only suggestion would be to use filters to get more depth in the water.

I appreciate the comment and the info from NOAA. There's also this page which is specific guidelines for UAVs. In case anyone here is interested. The safe aerial distance is 300 yards which is farther than boats with propellers that actually do damage are allowed. I want to be close enough to be able to capture this amazing behavior and far enough way not to disturb this amazing behavior. It was amazing to be able to see this from the air.

Thanks for the link! I'll read it in detail soon since your video is very much like what I'd like to capture. I didn't know about the NOAA UAV page - thanks! It's clear that your UAV activity did not change the behavior of the whales or dolphins. My brother and I where even closer to similar behavior in our sea kayaks in the Sea of Cortez and neither the whales or dolphins changed their behavior as we floated nearby.

Again, great video and thank you for being aware and concerned for the wildlife and the regulations!

Thanks for the link! I'll read it in detail soon since your video is very much like what I'd like to capture. I didn't know about the NOAA UAV page - thanks! It's clear that your UAV activity did not change the behavior of the whales or dolphins. My brother and I where even closer to similar behavior in our sea kayaks in the Sea of Cortez and neither the whales or dolphins changed their behavior as we floated nearby.

Again, great video and thank you for being aware and concerned for the wildlife and the regulations!

that must have been an awesome experience. I'm hoping to kayak near these guys soon. they are just fascinating!

great video would love to see whales and dolphins in the wild let alone being able to film them you luck sod!!Would of been nice seeing a high up shot of them but nice vid dude.

great video would love to see whales and dolphins in the wild let alone being able to film them you luck sod!!Would of been nice seeing a high up shot of them but nice vid dude.
thanks! yeah I was lucky to come across these guys. I wanted to get more footage but they dove down and swam away. next time. hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20