West Hollywood Cracks Down on Drones

Reaction score
Read this today
After drone crashes into power lines, West Hollywood cracks down

" The new law in West Hollywood requires civilian drone pilots to register their aircraft with the city, in addition to the registration already required by the FAA. West Hollywood drone operators must place a city-issued permit sticker and identification number on the drone where it can be seen from the ground."

How large can the ID number be to be noticed from the ground from any altitude?

More knee-jerk legislation.

More knee-jerk legislation.

What?!?
This is happening in California ? REALLY?
th

Read this today

" The new law in West Hollywood requires civilian drone pilots to register their aircraft with the city, in addition to the registration already required by the FAA. West Hollywood drone operators must place a city-issued permit sticker and identification number on the drone where it can be seen from the ground."

Do you think it will fit on my Hubsan? I got the FAA number on it by using 4 point type from my labelmaker (it's amazing what you can do when you're bored....).

I wonder what the FAA thinks of this?

On the one hand, it makes you want to say "OK, I will register. I guess this will entitle me to fly up and down Hollywood Blvd taking pictures" If I got one good shoot in, it would be worth it.

See...another example of one person ruining it for the rest of us. I'm headed to Long Beach this weekend and wanted to get a flying session in but hard to figure out if the city of Long Beach has any rules on Drones. Could not find anything on their site.

This is just the beginning. You will see more of this. Soon drones will be illegal to use.

"where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy, such as their home or hotel room."

Already illegal and trying to take a photo of someone in their home with a drone? My $100 digital camera can do that much easier. Why not make digital cameras illegal then as well.

"In October, the Los Angeles City Council approved an ordinance that made it a misdemeanor to violate Federal Aviation Administration drone regulations, including flying within five miles of an airport without permission."

This is about the dumbest thing ever. They made it doubly illegal? Sorry, the FAA has jurisdiction alone.

"The law makes sure “we have the rules to enforce the [FAA] guidelines here in L.A.,” said Councilman Mitch Englander"

Nope... it does not work like that according to US Code. They need to pick up a copy and read it.

"A drone incident captured on video last year -- when a pilot flew a drone over a raucous crowd outside Staples Center after the Kings won the Stanley Cup -- is now illegal."

No... it was _always_ illegal.

"West Hollywood resident Dan Berkowitz in November told the council that he had been sitting on his home’s terrace, reading the newspaper in a bathing suit, when he heard a whirring sound. He looked up and saw a drone buzzing about 15 feet above him.

Berkowitz said he was "disturbed by this Peeping Tom,” and that when he got up to get a closer look, the drone flew away."

He had to get up to get a closer look when it was only 15' away? How much closer did he want to get? Yeah right. Drone was probably hundreds of feet away and simply flying over his home.

This is just the beginning. You will see more of this. Soon drones will be illegal to use.

Which is why I'm gonna hold off on buying a new drone. I don't want to buy one, then they all of a sudden are banned out right or can't fly them anywhere but in your yard.

Reactions: Apilot101
........"In October, the Los Angeles City Council approved an ordinance that made it a misdemeanor to violate Federal Aviation Administration drone regulations, including flying within five miles of an airport without permission."...........

Doesn't Los Angeles already have an ordinance providing for a $500 fine for the detonation of a thermonuclear device within city limits?

Read this today

That can't do that per the FAA.

From the state and local regulation of unmanned aircraft PDF sheet. Page #2 states

"Consistent with its statutory authority, the FAA is requiring Federal registration of UAS in order to operate a UAS. Registering UAS will help protect public safety in the air and on the ground, aid the FAA in the enforcement of safety-related requirements for the operation of UAS, and build a culture of accountability and responsibility among users operating in U.S. airspace. No state or local UAS registration law may relieve a UAS owner or operator from complying with the Federal UAS registration requirements. Because Federal registration is the exclusive means for registering UAS for purposes of operating an aircraft in navigable airspace, no state or local government may impose an additional registration requirement on the operation of UAS in navigable airspace without first obtaining FAA approval."

https://www.faa.gov/uas/regulations_policies/media/UAS_Fact_Sheet_Final.pdf

I know for a fact that Santa Monica bans drones completely. I found out after flying it over the pier and getting yelled at lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic