Went a little dye crazy...

Thank you sir. I will try to stop off tomorrow & pic up some of the liquid stuff.

LuvMyTJ said:
Fyod said:
louforgiveno said:
For anyone looking to dye other parts of the phantom, I found that rit wouldn't work for me, I used "iDye Poly" ......(important that it is the poly version of idye....)

How much of the iDye stuff did you need?
Would you mind giving instructions on how you dyed it?

The first post HERE has the instructions. Basically what the package says works.

For you peeps who have used red & blue, what color RiT brand do you recommend for a nice standard red & blue, not to dark, not to light? Scarlett & Royal?
Denim blue is better than Royal blue IMO. I've done both.

LuvMyTJ said:
The first post HERE has the instructions. Basically what the package says works.

For you peeps who have used red & blue, what color RiT brand do you recommend for a nice standard red & blue, not to dark, not to light? Scarlett & Royal?

These are Scarlet and Royal.

Attachments

• props4.jpg
    props4.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 447
LuvMyTJ said:
Fyod said:
louforgiveno said:
For anyone looking to dye other parts of the phantom, I found that rit wouldn't work for me, I used "iDye Poly" ......(important that it is the poly version of idye....)

How much of the iDye stuff did you need?
Would you mind giving instructions on how you dyed it?

I used Royal and Cherry Red.

Attachments

• IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 511
Anyone tried to dye the Phantom 1 props?
I mixed a quart of simmering water with two tablespoons Golden Yellow and a teaspoon of Denim Blue and immersed a pair of
P1 props. 5 minutes later, still white, same 20 minutes later. So I left them in the dye all night, and they are still white this morning! I assume they must be a different plastic than the Phantom 2 props?
Going to try just the yellow on the Phantom 2 props this morning.

GoodnNuff said:
Anyone tried to dye the Phantom 1 props?
I mixed a quart of simmering water with two tablespoons Golden Yellow and a teaspoon of Denim Blue and immersed a pair of
P1 props. 5 minutes later, still white, same 20 minutes later. So I left them in the dye all night, and they are still white this morning! I assume they must be a different plastic than the Phantom 2 props?
Going to try just the yellow on the Phantom 2 props this morning.

Must be a different plastic. I'd try IDye Poly.

Rit didn't work on the landing gear (near boiling for 30 minutes-white as could be).

IDye poly did the job. The poly part is important.

Front props done with iDye in a mix of "Real Red" and "Fire Red" the first looked too Orange on the pack and the second looked too pink on the pack, so I mixed them.
Added Vinegar and only enough water to cover them comfortably in a baking dish.

Now I have the rear ones to do in black. Sticking with the black and red theme I seem to have started with the stickers, and the black and red clip on prop guards.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424930923.963566.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424930923.963566.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 512
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424930946.505770.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424930946.505770.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 678
Reactions: Tarkington Studios
And they're a perfect match for the prop guards that were bought already red.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424931443.826252.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424931443.826252.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 398
Ezookiel said:
Do you have a link to how you got your shell that way ? That's sharp !!

dirkclod said:
Ezookiel said:
Do you have a link to how you got your shell that way ? That's sharp !!

This isn't the exact package, but it's pretty much the same,
It came that way as a package deal ... http://www.justhobbies.net.au/carbon-dj ... -fpv-ver-2
They do sell just the Phantom 2 without all the extras in that same carbon pattern.

Not feeling confident with the "black" though. It doesn't seem to be taking very well at all.
I did buy the "poly" version as well, just in case, so maybe I'll use that if the non 'poly' version doesn't succeed, or maybe mix the two.
I'd be surprised though if it doesn't, as the red ones I just did weren't 'poly' either, and they worked brilliantly, it might just be a matter of length of time. I suspect that a really good black is going to be quite a long time.

Ezookiel said:
Not feeling confident with the "black" though. It doesn't seem to be taking very well at all.
I did buy the "poly" version as well, just in case, so maybe I'll use that if the non 'poly' version doesn't succeed, or maybe mix the two.
I'd be surprised though if it doesn't, as the red ones I just did weren't 'poly' either, and they worked brilliantly, it might just be a matter of length of time. I suspect that a really good black is going to be quite a long time.

Yeah I had problems with red. Ended up with Barbie Pink. Not good. :eek:

I've given up and added the poly version in with the normal. It says on the pack that if you're dying mixed fabrics that need the two, that you can mix them, so I've mixed them.
The difference was immediate. Within minutes the props were clearly taking on the colour much better. The poly version also came with a sachet of liquid benzyl benzoate "colour intensifier" which I also added.

What dye brand did you use to end up with Barbie Pink. That's not the look you'd want for sure. These were iDye but there are lots of images above of people using RIT as well.
I might add that these are the thrust boosted props too. Not sure that make a difference, but they're a much thicker plastic than that original ones. So could make a difference in dye uptake as well. The normal ones seem like a smoother shinier more polished looking plastic. That would have to have some affect.

Ezookiel said:
I've given up and added the poly version in with the normal. It says on the pack that if you're dying mixed fabrics that need the two, that you can mix them, so I've mixed them.
The difference was immediate. Within minutes the props were clearly taking on the colour much better. The poly version also came with a sachet of liquid benzyl benzoate "colour intensifier" which I also added.

What dye brand did you use to end up with Barbie Pink. That's not the look you'd want for sure.

It was a Dylon Tulip Red. I tried to rectify by then dyeing them Rit Red and they went a girly purple colour. Its a good job I fly alone that is all I can say. :) I too was using the 9450 props.

I'm still not 100% happy with the blackness yet, but they're not far off - this was a moment ago before throwing them back in where they'll now spend the whole rest of the night. That ought to do the job - that's 8 more hours!!

They actually look ok in this photo, but close up and in full light, there are some areas that need a bit longer. But it gives an idea of what the final result will be. Very pleased with it so far.

That one white landing leg will soon be carbon pattern like the rest. The store is still just waiting for some to arrive.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424956150.212584.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424956150.212584.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 512
rockhoundrob said:
Do you really have to heat up the water?

Or is the heat used to speed up the process?

I am just afraid to use heat and warp the propellers

Heat it till it boils, then pour it in a glass or metal pan, preferably one you will not ever use for food again, and let them sit in the dye till it reaches the color you want. I have even done my shell which is very thin with no issues. Do this in a well ventilated area as the dye I used had a strong oder that you really don't want to breath.
Oh yeah, DO NOT try to dye 3D printed parts as they will melt or shrink. Don't ask how I know this. :lol:

rockhoundrob said:
Do you really have to heat up the water?

Or is the heat used to speed up the process?

I am just afraid to use heat and warp the propellers
You need to heat up the water.

It's been said over and over again that the water will not warp the props. You'll be fine. :)

OR, replace the Black Pearl with an RX-LCD5802 (about $150 USD).

The point is, keep the transmitter and replace the receiver. I know the vTx is cheaper to replace, but I'm sure you can get good money for the Black Pearl you have so you won't be at too much of a loss. Or try returning/exchanging the 32ch at the place you bought it from.

This isn't working right for me.. mine is supposed to be cherry red but it's looking more maroon or pinkish color? How long does this need to saok?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub