Went a little dye crazy...

dptcalvin said:
What's snow. 83 degrees in San Diego today. :)
Nice! But if you get too hot today I can send you some of my outside air. I got up today and it was 9 below zero F. I would not want you to get heat stroke. :)

Marlin009 said:
dptcalvin said:
Very nice!!! I wish my reds came out like hat. What color did you use for that red and how long did you leave them in for?

It's Rit Scarlett, liquid. 1 teaspoon and 1 quart of water 15 minutes. I thought it looked like what you got. Pics can be deceiving. The yellow took 45 minutes.

Correction - I forgot that when I did the red I only had the quart pan about half full. It just covered the props so 2 tsp to a quart would be more like it. When the yellow looked like it wasn't going to take I added another tsp to it.

Up here in the frozen North when winter gets on your nerves we can do "odd" things. We call it "Cabin Fever." So with the snow(crap)coming down and the temps already down (-9) I decided it was time to go nuts. So I dyed my prop guards or rotor guards, or crutches, whatever you want to call them. The front ones are Scarlet and the back ones are dark green. Left them in hot water for 45 minutes to get some color to "stick."
The red rotors turned out dark compaired to the guards. Same powder rit and same amount. Rotors 1/2 hour and guards 45 minutes. All I can say it will one colorful conversation device if/when someone sees it this coming flying season. If it ever shows up..... :cry:
Guess I will go over in the corner and babble at the wall...... :?

Attachments

• Color-Guards-Rotors2.JPG
    Color-Guards-Rotors2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 514
  • Color-Guards-Rotors1.JPG
    Color-Guards-Rotors1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 518
  • Colored Guards.JPG
    Colored Guards.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 487
dirkclod said:
Sharp Happy :D Did zoom in on one of those shot's and ya might ought to fix that crack in the tile ;)
I put that floor down in 1999 over inlay. The house has a concrete floor and there was a small crack in that area. It took a long time for the floor to move enough again to snap the tile. It took until just last year before the tile cracked. Tight, smooth crack so not a problem, yet. Still have some same tile, so no problem there eagle eye. ;)

I tried a batch of props in Rit Golden Yellow (4 tsp/qt, 15 minutes) and they came out great. Tried a batch in iDye Poly Golden Yellow, about 1/3 of the pack in 1.2 quarts. I think the concentration was a little too high - took only 10 minutes but the color wasn't completely smooth like it was with the Rit. I prefer the Rit, plus it's cheaper. Nice idea! Now to go test out flying with bright yellow props!

nhoover said:
I tried a batch of props in Rit Golden Yellow (4 tsp/qt, 15 minutes) and they came out great. Tried a batch in iDye Poly Golden Yellow, about 1/3 of the pack in 1.2 quarts. I think the concentration was a little too high - took only 10 minutes but the color wasn't completely smooth like it was with the Rit. I prefer the Rit, plus it's cheaper. Nice idea! Now to go test out flying with bright yellow props!
Ah, being able to fly. In California. I'm up to my a$$ in white crap, single digits for temps, and another 6 weeks before it may end........

And here I am in San Diego contemplating a job in Chicago...

I went with Navy Blue and Cherry Red for that American Proud Look. Red, White and Blue.

Attachments

• IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 428
dptcalvin said:
And here I am in San Diego contemplating a job in Chicago...
Ya gotta go where the job is.
Looks nice, pittsy.

pittsy said:
I went with Navy Blue and Cherry Red for that American Proud Look. Red, White and Blue.
That just makes me warm inside !!! Nice !!!

dptcalvin said:
From left to right:

- lemon yellow > royal blue
- lemon yellow > tangerine
- lemon yellow < tangerine
- cherry red + scarlet red
- blue jean > royal blue

zcEoyPr.jpg

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqh-Zv0d9Vs[/youtube]

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Those look beast, bro!

Hi my name is Larry, I'm a Rit dye junkie, I have a problem. :lol: I just cand decide what color I want.

sdtrojan said:
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
OK, I admit it. I am poor!!! Does that mean I will become rich soon?

louforgiveno said:
For anyone looking to dye other parts of the phantom, I found that rit wouldn't work for me, I used "iDye Poly" ......(important that it is the poly version of idye....)

How much of the iDye stuff did you need?
Would you mind giving instructions on how you dyed it?

Fyod said:
louforgiveno said:
For anyone looking to dye other parts of the phantom, I found that rit wouldn't work for me, I used "iDye Poly" ......(important that it is the poly version of idye....)

How much of the iDye stuff did you need?
Would you mind giving instructions on how you dyed it?

The first post HERE has the instructions. Basically what the package says works.

For you peeps who have used red & blue, what color RiT brand do you recommend for a nice standard red & blue, not to dark, not to light? Scarlett & Royal?

That's the ones I ended up using but still got the tint off that I wanted and read all in here . Guess it just takes practice on the amount of time you leave them in the dye .
I also found out a new prop takes the dye differently than a used one .

Somewhere but not sure where . Here's what I finally got .

The colors are a little brighter than in picture .

Attachments

• IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 425

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj