Well, that was different, or expect the unexpected.

captainmilehigh

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
While flying my P3S today I was about 15 minutes into my flight when I noticed the screen on my device (iPad 2 mini) was blank. Well, isn't that special. It also was at my furthest distance from my home point, although it was still in sight but only a speck in the distance. Since I had two options (RTH or reorient the bird for the flight home) I decided to see what I could do flying it home. It took a while of trial and error at that great distance, but I finally started it flying back to me. I also did the hand catch as normal with no issues. Turns out the iPad had gotten 'hot' and turned itself off, probably due to the glare shield being used and insufficient cooling. I since have fixed that issue. I didn't realize how much I depended on the screen to be my eyes when flying at greater distances. And I also remembered how important it is to set your RTH altitude high enough to clear all obstacles around the area, just in case you gotta fly her home blind. Blue skies and calm winds guys. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: RickS
Wow, I never had that happen! Good to know. Since you still had VLOS you could have pressed RTH, the bird turns toward the RTH location, you could have then canceled RTH and pitched forward to travel in a straight line home.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Wow, I never had that happen! Good to know. Since you still had VLOS you could have pressed RTH, the bird turns toward the RTH location, you could have then canceled RTH and pitched forward to travel in a straight line home.
Yeah, hadn't thought of that. Good to know. Thx.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31