Well that was a BUST - What happened???

Lasvegascfp said:
sar104 said:
Lasvegascfp said:
True, I am at 9,000 feet.

9600 ft.
you must have been here before. You probably know the peak is 11,000 and I had hopes of getting up there.

I haven't flown above 10,000 ft, but I've seen several reports of flights up to 12,000 ft in CO. Those who were successful had no prop guards and were very cautious descending - no vertical descents. I'm sure keeping the aircraft as light as possible also helps.

DDMSteve said:
While I think that RTH is nice and all it really should be just viewed as a failsafe and not the way that you pack things up and bring it home. What likely occurred is simply that with higher elevation the air will be thinner. As you were flying early in the morning the air temps were probably cooler which aided a little bit in your favor. I don't have anything against prop guards but like RTH I fail to see them as much of a benefit unless you are flying in close proximity to a wall or indoors or something. I care more to have longer battery life with less of a payload.

Ya, that's my feeling on RTH also. Guess I'm just a trusting guy and sure it will work should something actually happen. No way I'm going to intensionally break communication with my Phantom. I've seen lot's of video showing it working.

mb_guy said:
DDMSteve said:
While I think that RTH is nice and all it really should be just viewed as a failsafe and not the way that you pack things up and bring it home. What likely occurred is simply that with higher elevation the air will be thinner. As you were flying early in the morning the air temps were probably cooler which aided a little bit in your favor. I don't have anything against prop guards but like RTH I fail to see them as much of a benefit unless you are flying in close proximity to a wall or indoors or something. I care more to have longer battery life with less of a payload.

Ya, that's my feeling on RTH also. Guess I'm just a trusting guy and sure it will work should something actually happen. No way I'm going to intensionally break communication with my Phantom. I've seen lot's of video showing it working.

Then what do you do if you lose sight or orientation of the copter? That was the whole reason I was just testing it. If I drop it down into the canyon it would be easy to lose orientation.

Dji - about 20 minutes on hold, sending it in. It's a 4 week return time they say - so not nearly as bad as I thought.

first of all, sorry for your loss :(

after reading all responses are you saying that its not recommended to use guard props at high altitudes?

im at 8,300 ft and planning to make some take offs in the roof of a 30 story building.

chapsrlz said:
first of all, sorry for your loss :(

after reading all responses are you saying that its not recommended to use guard props at high altitudes?

im at 8,300 ft and planning to make some take offs in the roof of a 30 story building.

That's certainly what I was saying. Not sure how to say it any clearer.

All I can say is I really didn't feel I needed them in the first place, and they're gonna end up costing me a ton. So I'm gonna burn them when I get the chance.

Lasvegascfp said:
mb_guy said:
DDMSteve said:

Then what do you do if you lose sight or orientation of the copter? That was the whole reason I was just testing it. If I drop it down into the canyon it would be easy to lose orientation.
Program S1 to RTH. No canyons where I live so don't have that temptation. I find the led headlite helps can usually see the bright spot.

Or...

As I ALMOST did while it started speed wobbling downwards was take it out of RTH and regain control. I should have but I've seen it work in so many videos I thought it was just a little breeze or something.

In the end, RTH just really needs to get the copter close to you so you can get oriented again - that's how I should look at it.

mb_guy said:
Lasvegascfp said:
Program S1 to RTH. No canyons where I live so don't have that temptation. I find the led headlite helps can usually see the bright spot.

OR... program S2 to utilize IOC ("enter NAZA mode", using the Assistant software).
If I lose orientation, or have a brain fart and just can't figure it out, I'll use S2 to switch into IOC home lock, just until I can get it closer to me (and/or out of danger). Then I can see which way she's pointing, turn it around, take it out of home lock, and continue to fly properly.

What the other guys have said so far, sounds a classic "learn about VRS the hard way" story.......thankfully I was flying mine carefully when had my first "oh ****" moment and never descended quickly or vertically again after that, and subsequent research shows the prop guards do you no favours whatsoever. I'm actually a little surprised they dont talk about vertical descents in the flight manual even though they have tried to reduce their frequency by slowing descent speed through firmware updates.

:|

ProfessorStein said:
mb_guy said:
Lasvegascfp said:
).
If I lose orientation, or have a brain fart and just can't figure it out, I'll use S2 to switch into IOC home lock, just until I can get it closer to me (and/or out of danger). Then I can see which way she's pointing, turn it around, take it out of home lock, and continue to fly properly.

But... The HL won't bring it up 20 meters unless I'm wrong, and if it flys straight back it may hit a tree or canyon wall (more what I'm thinking may happen). That being said, a combo of straight up throttle for a few seconds and HL might be the perfect ticket???

Lasvegascfp said:
ProfessorStein said:
mb_guy said:
Lasvegascfp said:
).

But... The HL won't bring it up 20 meters unless I'm wrong, and if it flys straight back it may hit a tree or canyon wall (more what I'm thinking may happen). That being said, a combo of straight up throttle for a few seconds and HL might be the perfect ticket???
That's exactly why I don't rely on RTH. 60 ft might not be enough, either (or heck, it might be too much). Home lock allows you to bring it back easily, while maintaining complete control.

But it's all a testiment for why you always maintain LOS... so you know exactly what you need to do to get out of trouble should you need to.

Well that sure is a bummer about your crash. If you can afford it the idea of a new purchase, getting yours fixed and then sell it sounds like a good idea to get back up in the air again.
I must have the one in a few million quads. I REALLY can not see any difference on how it flies with or without the guards. I understand it should, but.....I can't see a difference.
I always come down moving forward or backward and a time or two as fast as it will come down because of low battery alarm and have never had the bad wobble. That was with the "slow it down" firmware. The only time I do remember it taking place was on the beach and a fast come down again with battery alarm and that was before the upgrade and I did not know at that time of the "loss of air and fast fall" problem. Maybe it was a little breeze that kept it from happening.
I only use the guards when I am buzzing around the yard, learning. Too many trees not to have them on.

Happyflyer said:
Well that sure is a bummer about your crash. If you can afford it the idea of a new purchase, getting yours fixed and then sell it sounds like a good idea to get back up in the air again.
I must have the one in a few million quads. I REALLY can not see any difference on how it flies with or without the guards. I understand it should, but.....I can't see a difference.
I always come down moving forward or backward and a time or two as fast as it will come down because of low battery alarm and have never had the bad wobble. That was with the "slow it down" firmware. The only time I do remember it taking place was on the beach and a fast come down again with battery alarm and that was before the upgrade and I did not know at that time of the "loss of air and fast fall" problem. Maybe it was a little breeze that kept it from happening.
I only use the guards when I am buzzing around the yard, learning. Too many trees not to have them on.

Right, but what's your elevation? Near sea level the effects are much less noticeable.

Happyflyer said:

You do realise you have just cursed yourself!
Burn the guards QUICK!!!!!!
;)

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Happyflyer said:

You do realise you have just cursed yourself!
Burn the guards QUICK!!!!!!
;)

Haha ya ditto!!!

sar104 said:
Right, but what's your elevation? Near sea level the effects are much less noticeable.
That must be the reason. About 7 here. That is hundred, not thousands.
Not doomed, I'll just knock on my head(wood).
When I have them on I am in the yard with all the trees. Don't go much over 40 feet up.

So I've just had my fourth flight (1800ft altitude) and encountered the same issue. I was flying about 150ft above my head and started to descend. I pushed the stick all the way down and noticed it wobbling and not reacting to any input. I couldn't go left,right,forward,back at all.

If the wash out from the props is the issue shouldn't I be able to at least steer the thing?

Is there any advice on descending properly to prevent this scenario?

Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4