Well, I killed it.

Reaction score
After about a dozen cautious test flights I figured I was ready to install the Assistant software and check out some of the options there. Mid way through I was interrupted and had to close everything down. Not sure if that has anything to do with why my Phantom just glares at me and won't take off or not, but in any event, that's the situation.

Trying to figure out what's going on back at the office and not having much luck. I get solid red lights and the Assistant software is reporting an "Error 29", the details of which read:

Motors Start failure caused by TX stick(s) mid point error too big

If the TX stick(s) mid point error is too big, Motors Start will fail when you execute the Combination Stick Commands (CSC) and lead to the aircraft will not takeoff.. And the LED will blink Red four times per second continually to warn you.

TX stick(s) mid point error too big can be caused by the following reasons:

(1) There is TX stick (except the throttle stick) not at center when power on the autopilot system.

(2) The TX sticks has been trimmed, which leads to the large deviation of mid point. For example, the SUB-TRIM has been adjusted for Futaba transmitter.

(3) The TX stick(s) travel has larger asymmetry.

For the reason (1), please put all TX sticks at the mid point, and then power cycle the autopilot system to re-record the mid point. If the problem continues, that can be caused by the reason (2) or reason (3), you need to adjust the output range of your TX, and then use the Assistant Software to redo the TX calibration. Please carry out the following procedures.

(1) Connect to the Assistant software, click Basic-> R/C-> Command Sticks Calibration, and push all TX sticks throughout their complete travel range to see if any stick cannot reach its largest position.

(2) Adjust the largest travel of TX stick until the cursor on the Assistant software can reach both end positions, according to your TX manual.

(3) Power cycle the autopilot system, note that power cycle is required.

(4) Redo the TX calibration according to the Assistant software.

After several hours of trying to figure out what this error is telling me to do and searching for similar errors-- nothing but frustration. Hopefully someone might have some suggestions that might help me figure this out? Getting desperate... :(

If it were me, I would re-install the firmware on both the Tx and Phantom. Perform the full calibration test. Then I would say one last prayer that you don't have to call DJI Customer Support...

1 - Connect your controller, run the RC Assistant, calibrate your sticks.

2 - Connect your Phantom, run the Software Assistant, run the stick calibration.

Did this correct your problem?

Dirty Bird said:

2 - Connect your Phantom, run the Software Assistant, run the stick calibration.

Thanks, I did do this but will repeat those steps in the morning and make note of the issues that I came across.

I ran the RC & Assistant calibration and while I initially got this same "Error 29" subsequent calibrations seemed to work normally. No constant red lights & the Phantom seemed to acquire GPS normally (slow, flashing green).

But still, the CSC to start the rotors does nothing. Kinda' seems like progress in one sense, but not a lot of fun just watching it sit there and ignoring me.

Not sure what to try next...

Dirty Bird said:

tymb said:
I ran the RC & Assistant calibration and while I initially got this same "Error 29" subsequent calibrations seemed to work normally. No constant red lights & the Phantom seemed to acquire GPS normally (slow, flashing green).

But still, the CSC to start the rotors does nothing. Kinda' seems like progress in one sense, but not a lot of fun just watching it sit there and ignoring me.

Not sure what to try next...

Dirty Bird said:

In the Naza Assistant program-after you calibrate your remote, move the sticks to their full positions and see if each stick reaches 1000 or -1000.
You may have a bad remote-or a stick that's just a little out of whack.
I would run RC assistant again-read the instructions carefully on the calibration.
then, plug your a/c into Naza Assistant, turn on remote, power up aircraft, and to go the Calibration page, click calibration, and repeat. Once finished, go to the main page, and see what numbers you get in all ranges.

Also-there are several different CSC motions that will start the engines-try all of them...both down and in toward each other-both down and out away...etc.
I've had a remote that wouldn't calibrate correctly-only went to -850 or so in 1 axis-so no CSC-engines wouldn't start.

It's either a calibration issue, or one of the potentiometer in the remote isn't allowing full travel. Also-make sure all your switches are where they are supposed to be.....no IOS, GPS mode, and Fail Safe off.

IF the above doesn't work, re-install both softwares, and start over-just like when you first got your Phantom. It's possible that you may have interrupted the latest firmware upgrade for the 330 board(don't know what it does yet, and it just came out a few days ago), and that you may need to start over, and force the upgrade to try again.

I don't get it I've had phantoms F450s and never has these problems , some of these new guys have. I think it very user frendly

Mori55 said:
I don't get it I've had phantoms F450s and never has these problems , some of these new guys have. I think it very user frendly

Had the same problem as poster and ending up swapping out one of the gimbal/sticks and all good.
Faulty potentiometer on the yaw axis in my case

I did (but it was more like IT forcing, or at least strongly "encouraging" me to) upgrade the firmware. I did this after unsuccessfully getting it to power on thinking that might somehow help. In general I agree with the advice here I read here about firmware upgrades in that if it ain't broke, don't break it. At least it didn't seem to make things worse.

Dirty Bird said:
Force the software assistant to update the Phantom's firmware.

havasuphoto said:
In the Naza Assistant program-after you calibrate your remote, move the sticks to their full positions and see if each stick reaches 1000 or -1000.
You may have a bad remote-or a stick that's just a little out of whack.
I would run RC assistant again-read the instructions carefully on the calibration.
then, plug your a/c into Naza Assistant, turn on remote, power up aircraft, and to go the Calibration page, click calibration, and repeat. Once finished, go to the main page, and see what numbers you get in all ranges.

Also-there are several different CSC motions that will start the engines-try all of them...both down and in toward each other-both down and out away...etc.
I've had a remote that wouldn't calibrate correctly-only went to -850 or so in 1 axis-so no CSC-engines wouldn't start.

It's either a calibration issue, or one of the potentiometer in the remote isn't allowing full travel. Also-make sure all your switches are where they are supposed to be.....no IOS, GPS mode, and Fail Safe off.

IF the above doesn't work, re-install both softwares, and start over-just like when you first got your Phantom. It's possible that you may have interrupted the latest firmware upgrade for the 330 board(don't know what it does yet, and it just came out a few days ago), and that you may need to start over, and force the upgrade to try again.

Thanks much for the detailed suggestions. However after following all of these procedures (multiple times in fact) and speaking with a number of folks where I made the initial purchase with no resolution found, I'm sending the Phantom back for a refund. There's also the issue with the phone arm flopping around which I posted about previously and now the plastic clamp of the phone holder won't tighten down either and just falls off. All in all, not a good sign for this particular unit. Hopefully the replacement will fare better...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers