Well I just joined the "Stress Crack" club :(

I like the encouragement to eat healthy while you repair your drone. Good food is conducive to the good mental state recommended for these operations.;)

I like the encouragement to eat healthy while you repair your drone. Good food is conducive to the good mental state recommended for these operations.;)
It was playing before repair video, oops, but wheatgrass is good stuff, I watched videos couple of times while waiting for shipped items, the p4 is best one, it looks like I'll have to raise up the mangnesium battery compartment to access the power transfer module, not sure if its worth it just to get extra compass as my P4P flys fine with just one, plus now I've got Insurance with state farm, DJI prob charge couple hundred to change compass module if not more.

I noticed a couple stress cracks around the vents under 3 arms. Most of the cracks are really small, but 1 sticks out more.
7d5d0555ef06f2e9d30c7b22efc78f18.jpg
c0672a6a0a1873869995e0496a951966.jpg

Pretty upsetting as I only have 10 hours flight time. I've always flown carefully with no sudden stops or starts. I've always handled like a baby. Is this kind of like playing the lottery? Some units are just prone to cracks?

Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks

I think I would put in a claim to DJI

I just sent mine in and waiting

I thought the P4P shell was made from magnesium. Am I missing something here or just misunderstanding the description of the P4P?

You can relieve the stress by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack. This is what they do on aircraft when they find stress cracks.
Correct. At least until the skin can be replaced. ;)

If your craft is in warranty it's foolish to repair yourself. You'll be tossing your warranty right out the window, only because you're impatient. You won't get refurbished units for in warranty repair. I've received two replacements for warranty repairs on my P4, both were brand new craft. One return was a crack around the battery hole when it was 362 days old, it was replaced with a new craft. Turn around is usually 2-3 wks not counting shipping time. One of mine was 9 days, door to door, but I live 30 miles from DJI, so UPS is overnight since it's local.

If you have a crack, my advice is fly the craft if you feel it's flight worthy. Just keep an eye on the crack size. Put off returning for warranty repair/replacement until you have an occasion more convenient to be without the craft, but when the craft is 11 months old, send it in. Putting it off increases the crack size to justify warranty easier and quicker, and you get to fly more. Plus when you get the new craft, it will last longer since you got it later.

Since the OPs craft is so new with cracks I would suspect a prop that's out of balance, maybe two. Usually props from DJI are pretty good for balance, but it's possible to get a bad one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddyfisher
It your craft is in warranty it's foolish to repair yourself. You'll be tossing your warranty right out the window, only because you're impatient. You won't get refurbished units for in warranty repair. I've received two replacements for warranty repairs on my P4, both were brand new craft. One return was a crack around the battery hole when it was 362 days old, it was replaced with a new craft. Turn around is usually 2-3 wks not counting shipping time. One of mine was 9 days, door to door, but I live 30 miles from DJI, so UPS is overnight since it's local.

If you have a crack, my advice is fly the craft if you feel it's flight worthy. Put off returning for warranty repair/replacement until you have an occasion more convenient to be without the craft, but when the craft is 11 months old, send it in. Putting it off increases the crack size to justify warranty easier and quicker, and you get to fly more. Plus when you get the new craft, it will last longer since you got it later.

EXCELLENT advice!

If your craft is in warranty it's foolish to repair yourself. You'll be tossing your warranty right out the window, only because you're impatient. You won't get refurbished units for in warranty repair. I've received two replacements for warranty repairs on my P4, both were brand new craft. One return was a crack around the battery hole when it was 362 days old, it was replaced with a new craft. Turn around is usually 2-3 wks not counting shipping time. One of mine was 9 days, door to door, but I live 30 miles from DJI, so UPS is overnight since it's local.

If you have a crack, my advice is fly the craft if you feel it's flight worthy. Just keep an eye on the crack size. Put off returning for warranty repair/replacement until you have an occasion more convenient to be without the craft, but when the craft is 11 months old, send it in. Putting it off increases the crack size to justify warranty easier and quicker, and you get to fly more. Plus when you get the new craft, it will last longer since you got it later.

Since the OPs craft is so new with cracks I would suspect a prop that's out of balance, maybe two. Usually props from DJI are pretty good for balance, but it's possible to get a bad one.
Thank you! I believe you are right.

When I went to the NYC DJI Repair facility, they said, if they have the parts, they could ship out within the week that I dropped off the P4P. In my case, they did not have the camera/gimbal assembly in stock.

When I send back. What am I looking at? 2-3 week turnaround

Who knows warranty work with DJI is a crap shoot as well, seven weeks and my P3P is STILL not in my hands.Although it is shipped as of Fri. I used to hear how bad their service is, and now I know for myself just how bad it really is!

Got this same problem. My Phantom 3 pro had problem with a crack's after 10 month's - I send it to DJI service to repair, they did this but after I got my P3P back I just sell it. Now I bought new Phantom 4pro a month ago, 5 or 6 flights and get this same problem - crack's on shell (one big on one arm and three smaller cracks on another three arm's). What to do next !? I know they will repair it under warriaty but for how long?! Is it normal that shell's are cracking in every Phantom!?

Attachments

• IMG_20170610_130156.jpg
    IMG_20170610_130156.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20170610_130114.jpg
    IMG_20170610_130114.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 381
  • IMG_20170610_125313.jpg
    IMG_20170610_125313.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 351
Reactions: KingDad1985
Got this same problem. My Phantom 3 pro had problem with a crack's after 10 month's - I send it to DJI service to repair, they did this but after I got my P3P back I just sell it. Now I bought new Phantom 4pro a month ago, 5 or 6 flights and get this same problem - crack's on shell (one big on one arm and three smaller cracks on another three arm's). What to do next !? I know they will repair it under warriaty but for how long?! Is it normal that shell's are cracking in every Phantom!?
Don't worry. That is not a crack but a molding line. Mine has the same. Trust me. It is not a crack.

Ok. But why it's came after last fly? Before last fly it wasn't there for 100%! And why it is only on one arm (the others got it smaller and not in this same place),and I can feel it under my finger when I touch this place.

Ok. But why it's came after last fly? Before last fly it wasn't there for 100%! And why it is only on one arm (the others got it smaller and not in this same place),and I can feel it under my finger when I tuch this place.
All I know is I made a post about those same mold marks and everyone saud they were mold marks , now that I look closer I believe them

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Ok. I give my Phantom under warranty to my seller and Im waiting what he will tell me about this. Im 100% sure that this came after my last fly. It's not normal in my opinion even if it's only crack's on paint not on shell... It shouldnt came after 5 flights on new drone.

Ok. I give my Phantom under warranty to my seller and Im waiting what he will tell me about this. Im 100% sure that this came after my last fly. It's not normal in my opinion even if it's only crack's on paint not on shell... It shouldnt came after 5 flights on new drone.
Here is a picture of mine. These marks have been there since day 1 out of the box .
46fc5cc4a916386227e2d0c38e72eba5.jpg
b9561bf2ead7c50d68e4291097423a66.jpg

Maybe yours are cracks. I don't know for sure unless I can see it in person.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1