Weird whirling effect.. or not?

Reaction score
Pointing the camera down I did a number of 360s while ascending. When the quad stops turning, some parts of the earth below seem to continue whirling. Best visible in HD (1080)

Anybody knows this effect? Is it in the video or just in my head when watching it...

Nice video, the turning was the quad.... Not you head. Good location and nice entrance into the video.

I think there is an optical illusion happening there.
If you watch the part where the quad is spinning from the start to when it stops spinning the inner circle does look like it continues to spin for a few seconds but if you watch only the 3 or 4 seconds before the quad stops spinning the inner circle does not sem to continue spinning.

Nice video though,and a good subject for aerial photography.

Thanks. I also get the impression that the effect is stronger if you watch the spinning from the start.

This location has some special meaning on midsummer and midwinter. The sunrise and sunset are then visible through the openings in the inner circle. People gather there for days around June 21th, having some cultural event.

This location has some special meaning on midsummer and midwinter. The sunrise and sunset are then visible through the openings in the inner circle. People gather there for days around June 21th, having some cultural event.
Aha,so I wasn't beingt silly when I thought it looked like a modern day stonehenge.
I like the way the paths (Desire Lines) make it look like a peace sign too.

Aha,so I wasn't beingt silly when I thought it looked like a modern day stonehenge.
I like the way the paths (Desire Lines) make it look like a peace sign too.

I first noticed the peace sign when I looked at my video. I've been there often, but never had this view from above.

And yes It's modern. 75 years ago this area was a still a sea. It's actually 5 meters below sealevel.

I had heard of this but never gave it much thought. Your post had whet my appetite and I looked into it. Here's a brief bit about the 'sculpture' if anyone is interested:

The Observatory consists of two concentric earth mounds (the exterior measuring a diameter of 71 m) crossed by three V-span openings and divided by a ditch.
The interior circle is made by a wood structure which supports earth covered in grass and includes four openings, one of them being the entry.
Coming through a triangle-shaped tunnel it is possible to get through the exterior circle right through the middle of the land-art work through the East-West axe. The other three openings in the central circle are oriented in order to frame the sunrise in some specific times of the year.
The middle steel visor shows the sunrise at the equinoxes. On the northest and southest sides of the circles are two stone wedges, through which the sunrise on the 21 June and on the 21 December are visible.

Thanks for sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20