Weird Weak Signal Issue...

Reaction score
I was flying today here in Ireland and something odd occurred. I was at 400' and 3000' out, when I started to loose RC signal. When it returned, I pushed on and 200' further I lost it again and it's started to RTH. I cancelled it, turned the AC 180 and the signal returned. I proceeded to continue in reverse for a further 1600' with absolutely no loss if signals. Any ideas what could cause that? I've been able to get to 7000' in the normal oriantation before, so I'm at a loss as to what's going on?
Any help appreciated...

Cheers... Rob

I was flying today here in Ireland and something odd occurred. I was at 400' and 3000' out, when I started to loose RC signal. When it returned, I pushed on and 200' further I lost it again and it's started to RTH. I cancelled it, turned the AC 180 and the signal returned. I proceeded to continue in reverse for a further 1600' with absolutely no loss if signals. Any ideas what could cause that? I've been able to get to 7000' in the normal oriantation before, so I'm at a loss as to what's going on?
Any help appreciated...

Cheers... Rob

any chance you updated the RC last week with the new FW

it messed up my video bad, but due to that I stayed close to home.
so I don't know if it messed with RC range yet
and weather is not good here to test

any chance you updated the RC last week with the new FW

it messed up my video bad, but due to that I stayed close to home.
so I don't know if it messed with RC range yet
and weather is not good here to test
Nope, I've not updated app - still on 2.8.7.

This is a good time to point this out. When you lost signal, the best option is to increase altitude 50-100ft to get the signal restored. And if you want to continue on further you may need to climb to a higher altitude. Generally, the higher the altitude, the farther you can fly. Being high in altitude gets the signals away from the ground noise and interference.

This is a good time to point this out. When you lost signal, the best option is to increase altitude 50-100ft to get the signal restored. And if you want to continue on further you may need to climb to a higher altitude. Generally, the higher the altitude, the farther you can fly. Being high in altitude gets the signals away from the ground noise and interference.

I better add that you if make it up to a 150-200ft higher and do not restore signal, then you will want to return the aircraft to home point.

I better add that you if make it up to a 150-200ft higher and do not restore signal, then you will want to return the aircraft to home point.
Cheers Frank. Yep I've tried that 10 mins ago. Was at 400' - took it to 500' - didn't make a scrap of difference. Then I swung the AC round 180 and reversed it and once again, it went out for a further 2000' this time, and still no loss of signals. It has Vid/RC Signal aerials in all legs, doesn't it? Weird or what?

Cheers Frank. Yep I've tried that 10 mins ago. Was at 400' - took it to 500' - didn't make a scrap of difference. Then I swung the AC round 180 and reversed it and once again, it went out for a further 2000' this time, and still no loss of signals. It has Vid/RC Signal aerials in all legs, doesn't it? Weird or what?
BTW, I brought the AC back down to 400 before I put it in reverse....

I have no doubt the issue is app/firmware related. Btw, I don't talk with you on a regular basis so I say something as if speaking to a newcomer then forgive me.

So here we go... You do know the R/C antennas need to be at 90 degrees and the flat sides pointing at you and the other side pointing directly at the aircraft, right? When it comes to distance, you need those flat antenna sides pointing at the aircraft as if you had a laser pointer placing a mark on the aircraft.

If you don't use a WindSurfer, get one! They are such a benefit they should come from the factory already attached to the R/C.
Also, if you don't have the 32 channel mod installed, do it now. This is free performance! Use channel 32.

What app and a/c firmware are you setup with?

I have no doubt the issue is app/firmware related. Btw, I don't talk with you on a regular basis so I say something as if speaking to a newcomer then forgive me.

So here we go... You do know the R/C antennas need to be at 90 degrees and the flat sides pointing at you and the other side pointing directly at the aircraft, right? When it comes to distance, you need those flat antenna sides pointing at the aircraft as if you had a laser pointer placing a mark on the aircraft.

If you don't use a WindSurfer, get one! They are such a benefit they should come from the factory already attached to the R/C.
Also, if you don't have the 32 channel mod installed, do it now. This is free performance! Use channel 32.

What app and a/c firmware are you setup with?
Thanks Frank...
First point.... yes, I do....
Second point... Yes, they do...
I'm not using a Windsurfer at this location.
I haven't undertaken the 32 Channel mod.
Using 2.8.7 and without an issue for months and can't remember the FW number but updated that around the same time as the App.
But.... putting ALL that to oneside; with all else being equal, what difference would the oriantation of the AC make to the signal? Should be none, right?

Thanks Frank...
First point.... yes, I do....
Second point... Yes, they do...
I'm not using a Windsurfer at this location.
I haven't undertaken the 32 Channel mod.
Using 2.8.7 and without an issue for months and can't remember the FW number but updated that around the same time as the App.
But.... putting ALL that to oneside; with all else being equal, what difference would the oriantation of the AC make to the signal? Should be none, right?

Not necessarily. The camera, gimbal, and VPS can be responsible for restricting output. When you have the a/c coming to you, a lot of the siginal can be blocked simply due to the forward flight pitch, and roll for that matter.

The 32 channel mod takes 5min. The WindSurfer's now $12-$15. Doing just one of these mods will help quite a bit.

Hmmm, good point. Are there eight, so four for each service or are they four which are shared for RC and Vid or less than this?

I believe the the P3P has three antenna wires in the legs of the P3P (2 for L.B.,1 for RC), but I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

I believe the the P3P has three antenna wires in the legs of the P3P (2 for L.B.,1 for RC), but I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Cheers Mocho.
I guess it has nothing to do with a loose antenna then.

Out of interest can you remember what time Monday you were flying @

I had the exact same issue a few days ago!!
I was about 100meters up and I was 2100meters away from me.
I started losing signal and eventually the RTH was triggered.
AS SOON AS the RTH was triggered, and I'm talking INSTANTLY, I gained video feed and signal back without any jitter.
Could this be because I'm in Australia and am in CE mode so limited to 3.5km? And if so, I was 1.4km short of that limit....I still would've thought I could, and should, be able to go the 3.5km claimed by DJI?
Perhaps the buildings inland a little caused the signal issues, but then why did the issues go away straight away after the RTH was initiated?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen