weird noise in lowlight video

Reaction score
So I have noticed some very strange noise in my low light videos. I expected some noise so I'm not terribly worried about, it but this is like nothing I've really ever seen, I'll try and post a screen shot. So it looks like is is overlayed in the frame rather than what I'm used to with low light noise, and is almost looks like plaid (yes the cloth pattern lol) the underlying video is actually remarkably clear so I'm wondering if this is a sensor error? It honestly looks like its a filter, in fact when I first got the phantom 2V+ I actually thought that is was maybe a plastic film on the lens that came for packaging, obviously it wasn't. I have also been searching on the web, and haven't noticed anything like it in any other low light videos that people have posted. Any ideas??

Example 1

Example 2

And here is an example of a lowlight shot without the weird noise.

These were all screen shots from video taken with the Vision + my stills don't have it.

Attachments

• Screen.Shot.2014.10.30.at.9.41.23.PM.jpg
    Screen.Shot.2014.10.30.at.9.41.23.PM.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 559
  • Screen.Shot.2014.10.30.at.9.42.15.PM.jpg
    Screen.Shot.2014.10.30.at.9.42.15.PM.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 567
  • Screen.Shot.2014.10.30.at.9.43.26.PM.jpg
    Screen.Shot.2014.10.30.at.9.43.26.PM.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 443
I know it's not much use, but I noticed the same thing on footage (also shot at night) from a P2V+ on the Gadget Show on Ch5 last night.

It looks very much like banding noise from where the camera has increased the ISO/ the shadows exposure to compensate for the reduced amount of ambient light, which some cameras suffer with a lot more than others.

I noticed it after installing v3.02 and beyond. It doesn't show up until just before full dark out in the evening.

flyNfrank said:
I noticed it after installing v3.02 and beyond. It doesn't show up until just before full dark out in the evening.

Was the video better on 3.00 and older? I've heard this but wasn't sure about that

Oh yeah! Much much better in my opinion. Sad part is, I'm unable to tune the camera's setting to get it even close to what it use to be.

Yea, I've had this problem since before the most recent update. Kinda my biggest beef with the PV2+ set up as the GoPro crowd doesn't appear to have this problem. Other than that and the fact that the wireless bridge doesn't support the higher resolution preview quality all too well. Although, I have noticed a bit of an improvement ramping up to 30 fps instead of 15 fps. Before the updates I would lose the signal like 20 feet away and the copter would start acting strange (erratic attitude changes). Once set at the lowest preview setting everything went back to normal. Now that I have done the latest updates I attempted to up the frame rate which seems to be working nominally. I might get the balls to up the preview resolution soon.

My camera does the same thing in low light (3.0 firmware). If you notice it looks like a mesh. I think what's happening is, in low light, the camera increases the gain to maximum. Small differences in lighting are then magnified, and what you are seeing is the actual electronic traces of the sensor matrix. If you look closely at a touch screen phone under the right lighting, you can sometimes see the traces of the digitizer (touch screen) matrix. The effect is more pronounced when traveling forward and the front LEDs illuminate the lens from the edge.

I changed the view to a smaller angle, and it has all but fixed the issue, BUT, you get ALOT more camera noise in the black range. I keep my ISO at 100, but still get the noise. At lest I can deal with that and it doesn't look like a checker board lol. On a side note, the GoPro (even the Hero 4) is pretty noisy in lower light, just one of the limitations with using a small camera, with a smaller sensor. Thanks for all the replies!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik