Weird left/right yaw: maybe compass "noise"?

Reaction score
Can you guys help me diagnose this left/right yawing? My gimbal seems pretty stable through pitch and roll but the Phantom itself seems to yaw back and forth as it flies. I have not seen this in videos others have posted so I thought I'd ask. It's almost as if the Phantom is getting some compass "noise" that it is dealing with telling it to keep yawing back and forth to keep its heading. Here's a sample video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJS67UfH ... e=youtu.be

Other than the couple times I panned to the left, the rest of the time my hand was completely off the left stick. Flying in GPS mode. It was a little windy that particular day but I flew it today with the same results in calm winds. Everything is tight as far as camera and gimbal. No slack. I'm pretty convinced it isn't the gimbal and it's the Phantom itself constantly yawing left and right just a bit.

Mike

netphreak said:
Do you have a FPV tray hanging off the tail of the craft? Anything in that back propwash will cause the craft to yaw left and right as you fly. Most people shoot in a higher res than they need, and stabilize the footage in post.

No. Nothing like that. I did make some landing gear extenders but they are just small clips that I wouldn't think would get in the way any more than the stock gear:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8666#p72383

Mike

That weird left / right yaw is turbulence caused by wind. Without a 3D gimbal, you will always see some of this. ATTI mode can help but it won't make it go away. Flying perpendicularly to the wind can help a little too.

Thanks guys. These replies prompted me to go back and look at a couple videos before I added the clip on landing gear extenders. Before those, the phenomenon was much less pronounced: almost gone. So maybe the prop wash is messing with those homemade extenders. I'll do some experimenting.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers