Weird flying from phantom

Reaction score
Hi

I haven't had my phantom long and have only got 6 flights on it with three with the phantom drifting towards one direction

I contacted the hobby shop and they said drifting was normal(I don't think so with strong GPS signal)

Anyways I flew it today and was going to test the position hold of the GPS and as I brought it to a better position to get ahold of the landing gear the phantom flies pretty fast towards the ground(on its own as I had the remote in my hands but wasn't touching the sticks) I barely had time to kill the motors before it flipped on its top

Now how could something that was flying great with no drifting or weaird actions for three flights suddenly do like this??!?

I have two smaller quadcopters and they drift to a point but not like this and this is a first(for me) for it to flip on its top like this

I contacted the hobby shop and told them how it done yet they claim the drift is normal but I told them I had three flights with NO DRIFTING at all

Any ideas?
I got it through they're eBay channel and paid with Paypal so I would be covered

I emailed dji and so far have got no reply yet

I forgot to mention it drifts to the right going forward

I am wondering it its the flight controller or the front right motor

The sensors in the flight controller give proper spec readouts

Anyone????

bigjay51 said:
You may want to recalibrate the compass and see if that helps

I did after the third flight as it started drifting during the third flight

No help

Update after doing the compass dance for the third time it flew without drifting woohoo

It did slightly drift but not pulling to the right like crazy on its own

Now I wonder if I got a bad compass module

I'm a Phantom 2 owner, but there's no chance there was any interference around when you calibrated the compass, is there? Park bench, power lines, keys in your pocket, cell phone in your pocket, etc.?

I've had a drifting here and there and usually stepping away from everything and recalibrating the compass works.

Just a thought.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Fink said:
I'm a Phantom 2 owner, but there's no chance there was any interference around when you calibrated the compass, is there? Park bench, power lines, keys in your pocket, cell phone in your pocket, etc.?

I've had a drifting here and there and usually stepping away from everything and recalibrating the compass works.

Just a thought.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Nope I didn't have anything that would cause interference while doing the compass calibration each time
What I don't get is how come the compass lost its calibration during flight with a good GPS signal(it started to drift bad during flight)

I even sat the remote along with my iPhone(and had airplane mode on)and keys each time i calibrated the compass

What got me was after it started drifting the compass readings were never stable when connected to the laptop

I haven't checked lately since the third calibration to see if it has went nutty or not(going to check now that I think of it)

I got a email back from dji telling me I can send it in for repair I think I will do that unless someone says I shouldn't(do I send in my fc40's camera and battery or not???)

Update I just checked the compass readouts and they are all over the map again

I guess my phantom will be going to dji soon :( bummer only got three good flights before it wanted to go nutty

I don't store it near magnets so I don't know what could be the cause except for a bad compass

Watch out with the readings if you have the lights on in the room, i have a small fluorescent tube and when that one is on, the readings are sky high. the same with lamps with electronic in then.

pietpukje said:
Watch out with the readings if you have the lights on in the room, i have a small fluorescent tube and when that one is on, the readings are sky high. the same with lamps with electronic in then.

I had a led light on also my MacBook Pro has led backlighting on the display and keyboard it don't think that would affect it

The light was off at the time though

ericdes said:
You can purchase a new compass for like 20$

I may do that given how long it would be at dji and out of service

pietpukje said:
general01 said:
I had a led light on also my MacBook Pro has led backlighting on the display and keyboard it don't think that would affect it

The light was off at the time though
That's no problem, i mean this kind of lamps:
http://media.kieskeurig.nl/images/01/32 ... 3228/l.jpg
if this link is not accept here then please remove it admin
my readings are higher with that kind of lamp on

Nope don't have none of those in the house now(mercury risk)

I switched to led after the cfl made my projection screen yellow(not cool)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic