Weird flight... Could use some advice

Nope - that was follow. Gives you an idea of how pitched the phantom was. If you start at the beginning of this thread you'll see that I had something quite wrong when I initiated the turn-around.

I read the thread yesterday - so I'm maybe a bit rusty. The horizon shouldn't be tilting if the gimbal is working properly, surely? You'd at least expect to see the legs appearing in the shot?

I read the thread yesterday - so I'm maybe a bit rusty. The horizon shouldn't be tilting if the gimbal is working properly, surely? You'd at least expect to see the legs appearing in the shot?

Thanks Connor. Definitely was set to follow mode (have never used FPV) - it was pitched pretty far forward with the gimbal adjusted down a bit which is probably why you didn't see the legs.

This looks like a compass issue. It's a good example of how it only manifests itself in a big turn because that is when the compass is used most. You can see the characteristic curving called Toilet Bowl Effect. Loss of gimbal horizon is indicative of bad compass data as well. Either the calibration or the take off point were compromised. Or the compass is bad or magnetized.

I appreciate the feedback Ian. The analysis from the .dat and .txt files do not show any abnormal compass readings during the event. I have re-calibrated for good measure, but so far both gentlemen that have analyzed the .dat files have suggested a strong wind gust is more likely the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Compass data doesn't have to look abnormal to be abnormal. It was not wind. Wind doesn't cause your gimbal to gradually lose the horizon like yours did. That is a telltale for the compass. Watch videos of compass problems and you'll see.

You can see the motors RPM (the yellow line in motors graph) go up during/after the 180 turn. Also amps/watts go up.
You apply yaw (quite a lot at one point) on the RC with a lot of forward pitch to do that curve but no roll. I would recommend for fast curves to use some roll as well.
The speed goes up to 90kmh just after the curve so shows must have been a gust. After it goes to around 50kmh with same forward pitch - see thumbnail.
I do did not see anything abnormal in compass values.
I would deduct this is result of applying too much yaw with forward pitch in the curve combined with a strong gust which made the P3 work harder to keep its balance.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi Luap,
What software is this and do you just feed it the raw .dat file from the P3 ? Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.