Weird feedback on my IOS app this morning...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I was flying this morning before work and I was approximately seventy feet up and two hundred feet out when I looked at my iPhone 5S and saw "na" right across the board where data for speed, altitude and distance should be. I still had FPV and all other telemetry was working properly.

I reeled it in a few feet and started losing altitude and all of the information popped back up on the screen. I wish I had the presence of mind to take a screen shot of that. I've never seen that before.

This is an original (nearly year old) Phantom 2 Vision with a new style battery and a fairly newly installed RotorPixel gimbal. Could this be a situation where the gimbal may have been blocking the signal temporarily at the angle it was at in relationship to the TX?

It was a pucker inducing moment there... :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod
Could this be a situation where the gimbal may have been blocking the signal temporarily at the angle it was at in relationship to the TX?
Could be a lot of different things. Did you happen to notice how many satellites you were getting at that point. Lack of a proper fix from buildings or reflected signal could be one reason but most likely your guess of the gimbal blocking sounds good.

I got a right angle sma connector to get the end of my circular antenna down further away from the gimbal then adjusted my receiver's antenna to match. I was getting video breakup (not bad) at around 700' D (150' A) while flying away from me and after I put the right angle got about 150' more before chickening out. With circular antennae and both horizontal to each other means that directly overhead it could be a weak zone but most don't fly directly over head at height unless getting ready to land. I saw a video on YouTube where the flyer attached a circular antenna hanging with an sma pigtail about 12" long. Claimed longer range and he may have a point getting it away from all the metal and electronics. Landing are not going to damage it unless you drag it along the ground.

JerEl said:
Could this be a situation where the gimbal may have been blocking the signal temporarily at the angle it was at in relationship to the TX?
Could be a lot of different things. Did you happen to notice how many satellites you were getting at that point. Lack of a proper fix from buildings or reflected signal could be one reason but most likely your guess of the gimbal blocking sounds good.

I got a right angle sma connector to get the end of my circular antenna down further away from the gimbal then adjusted my receiver's antenna to match. I was getting video breakup (not bad) at around 700' D (150' A) while flying away from me and after I put the right angle got about 150' more before chickening out. With circular antennae and both horizontal to each other means that directly overhead it could be a weak zone but most don't fly directly over head at height unless getting ready to land. I saw a video on YouTube where the flyer attached a circular antenna hanging with an sma pigtail about 12" long. Claimed longer range and he may have a point getting it away from all the metal and electronics. Landing are not going to damage it unless you drag it along the ground.

Yes... I checked for satellites immediately. I had taken off with nine and I had eleven when the telemetry blacked out. The aircraft was facing away from me and going backwards towards me at the time. This was in a wide open soccer field. It only lasted about ten seconds and I couldn't re-create the problem. Otherwise the entire flight went flawlessly. I just wondered if anyone else had seen this.

Yeah... I've thought about supplementing the antenna since the gimbal may cause interference, blocking, etc...

Thanks...
-slinger

dirkclod said:
I too have been losing the same data of and on lately and just took it as bugs in the new updates on phone :? It comes and goes at times. Sometimes when in site but other times when out a few thousand feet but my extremely reliable DJI always makes it back :D So far :?

You have a gimbal, dirk?

-slinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers