Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Weird feedback on my IOS app this morning...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunslinger, Oct 27, 2014.

1. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

I was flying this morning before work and I was approximately seventy feet up and two hundred feet out when I looked at my iPhone 5S and saw "na" right across the board where data for speed, altitude and distance should be. I still had FPV and all other telemetry was working properly.

I reeled it in a few feet and started losing altitude and all of the information popped back up on the screen. I wish I had the presence of mind to take a screen shot of that. I've never seen that before.

This is an original (nearly year old) Phantom 2 Vision with a new style battery and a fairly newly installed RotorPixel gimbal. Could this be a situation where the gimbal may have been blocking the signal temporarily at the angle it was at in relationship to the TX?

It was a pucker inducing moment there... :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger

dirkclod likes this.
  2. JerEl

Could be a lot of different things. Did you happen to notice how many satellites you were getting at that point. Lack of a proper fix from buildings or reflected signal could be one reason but most likely your guess of the gimbal blocking sounds good.

I got a right angle sma connector to get the end of my circular antenna down further away from the gimbal then adjusted my receiver's antenna to match. I was getting video breakup (not bad) at around 700' D (150' A) while flying away from me and after I put the right angle got about 150' more before chickening out. With circular antennae and both horizontal to each other means that directly overhead it could be a weak zone but most don't fly directly over head at height unless getting ready to land. I saw a video on YouTube where the flyer attached a circular antenna hanging with an sma pigtail about 12" long. Claimed longer range and he may have a point getting it away from all the metal and electronics. Landing are not going to damage it unless you drag it along the ground.

3. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes... I checked for satellites immediately. I had taken off with nine and I had eleven when the telemetry blacked out. The aircraft was facing away from me and going backwards towards me at the time. This was in a wide open soccer field. It only lasted about ten seconds and I couldn't re-create the problem. Otherwise the entire flight went flawlessly. I just wondered if anyone else had seen this.

Yeah... I've thought about supplementing the antenna since the gimbal may cause interference, blocking, etc...

Thanks...
    -slinger

dirkclod likes this.
  4. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

You have a gimbal, dirk?

-slinger

dirkclod likes this.