weight and balance advice

Reaction score
I just ordered a Phantom2 V2 with Zenmuse 4H-3D and will arrive in 2 weeks. The ad says the H4-3D is for Hero4 Black (another ad said H3-3D is for Hero3).

I have the Hero 4 Silver and decided to go with H4-3D. After the fact, I see that Hero 4 Silver is 146 grams and Black is 150 grams.
I am assuming that the Zenmuse balance will be off just a little (4 grams).

What is the better way to balance it out?

1) drill into the counter-weight and remove about 3 - 4 grams?

2) or add 3-4 grams onto the camera case?

Does it really need to be "perfectly balanced" and add/remove EXACTLY 4 grams or is it good enough to just add 2 grams or so?

Everything is new to me, so I just want to cover all the bases before first flight.

Thanks!

The H3-3d is for Hero 3/Hero 3 + cameras. As far as I know, the H4-3d will work fine with any Hero 4, even the silver. If the balance is a little off, try taping a penny to one of the motors. That way when you sell it later, you can leave it un-scratched.

Jacob said:
The H3-3d is for Hero 3/Hero 3 + cameras. As far as I know, the H4-3d will work fine with any Hero 4, even the silver. If the balance is a little off, try taping a penny to one of the motors. That way when you sell it later, you can leave it un-scratched.

Just FYI avoid taping anything to the gimbal motors directly. it has been discussed that the metal can interfere with their operation. so tape weights to the other flat surfaces.

I am playing it safe... The Hero4 silver is 4 grams less than a Black.

Quarter = 5.7 grams
Nickel = 5.0 grams
Penny = 2.5 grams
Dime = 2.2 grams

So I grounded 3 nickles down to 3.65, 3.78, and 3.98 grams.
I plan to use the 3.98 since. But there really is nothing to tape it to, other than the camera itself.

Is it safe to use duct tape to hold the nickel on top of the camera? Will the metal interfere with the signal?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1