Weekend worries

Reaction score
I live in a small town in Ireland, fairly well off the tourist route. However, this weekend (really big news, folks!) we had our first cruise liner ever come to town. This was an event for the phantom!

Why is it that things go flawlessly when there's no time pressure and everything goes tits up when there is? Firstly the Plus wouldn't give me FPV. I had to hard shut down the phone to get it working and missed the early part of the arrival. Then when I got it up in the air, I lost FPV on the iphone 5 at about 350m distance and little would get it back on again. Thank goodness for Home lock! At one stage I even turned off the transmitter to force a return to home. Shutting off the app and re-opening cleared that one. All the while the Plus was out over the sea (I've already lost a P1 in the sea) so it was a fairly butt-clenching experience. I put a lot of the loss of FPV down to the moisture in the atmosphere (might be wrong) as there was a lot of low cloud.

The liner was going out again that evening, so back down I went again. This time there were thousands of spectators, but I bit the bullet, found a quiet spot and up she went. Got some great shots of her leaving, pulled in changed battery and out after her again. Once again I lost FPV, but this is okay as I looked at the distance and it was over 1200m at 30m altitude. Impressive for stock! Instigated RTH again and back she came, good as gold. Anyhow here are the two clips.

Now why won't these YouTube clips preview?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkFp2lR62So[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y376jz4T1Y[/youtube]

happydays said:

Remove list parameter from the URLs:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkFp2lR62So[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y376jz4T1Y[/youtube]

Very cool video. Don't let the Drone Gestapo see it...they'll accuse you of being an idiot for flying over the deserted ship deck and risking damage to the ship! :roll:

Great footage and camera work!

:roll: It the other side to the luck of the irish mate! I had the exact same problem trying to get the massive Celebrity cruises ship leaving Dublin the other day, couldn't get sat lock, no fpv, gimbal went nuts and then battery alarm went off with 92%. Finally got 1 pic of the arse end of the ship when she was about 2 miles away :roll:
At least you got some real nice footage!

Very nice videos, HD. Quite the crowd showed up for the departure. I would love to visit Ireland some day, but definitely not on a cruise ship.

happydays said:
I live in a small town in Ireland, fairly well off the tourist route. However, this weekend (really big news, folks!) we had our first cruise liner ever come to town. This was an event for the phantom!

Why is it that things go flawlessly when there's no time pressure and everything goes tits up when there is? Firstly the Plus wouldn't give me FPV. I had to hard shut down the phone to get it working and missed the early part of the arrival. Then when I got it up in the air, I lost FPV on the iphone 5 at about 350m distance and little would get it back on again. Thank goodness for Home lock! At one stage I even turned off the transmitter to force a return to home. Shutting off the app and re-opening cleared that one. All the while the Plus was out over the sea (I've already lost a P1 in the sea) so it was a fairly butt-clenching experience. I put a lot of the loss of FPV down to the moisture in the atmosphere (might be wrong) as there was a lot of low cloud.

The liner was going out again that evening, so back down I went again. This time there were thousands of spectators, but I bit the bullet, found a quiet spot and up she went. Got some great shots of her leaving, pulled in changed battery and out after her again. Once again I lost FPV, but this is okay as I looked at the distance and it was over 1200m at 30m altitude. Impressive for stock! Instigated RTH again and back she came, good as gold. Anyhow here are the two clips.

Great footage, confirms the old saying that "if you want your photography to be more interesting, look for more interesting things to photograph!"... This made for a great subject for aerial photography, very nice!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4