Weather

Reaction score
I was wondering what is the lowest temp I can fly in? I have a windchill of 16 degree Fahrenheit. The reg temp it's 37 degrees. Need advice.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Phantom manual suggests not flying when it's below freezing. That's good advice considering the batteries won't work as well when it's that cold out. Your hands will freeze too :)

Last edited:
Windchill does not change the temperature of objects, only people, animals etc. If its 37 degrees outside with a windchill of 16 degrees the temperature for your drone is 37 degrees.

Another concern would be the tablet LCD freezing if in the cold for an extended period of time. We've had people in the field who have had tablet screens fail while working in cold weather - though you probably wouldn't be outside all day like our field people. I'd recommend a pair of touchpad gloves that allow you to operate the screen.

I've considered tossing one of those chemical hand-warmer paks into my drone case to keep the batteries nice and toasty between flights, but I've never tried one and don't know how hot they get. Wouldn't want to melt the foam in my case.

I flew today with the temp at 34F and "feels like" 24F.... even with good gloves, I decided to stop before my P3 or batteries needed too.... but up to that point it was a typical flight... YMMV but don't let the cooler temps stop you, the P3 can tolerate it as long as you can if you're out in the elements too... do remember that the temp at higher altitude with more wind may be colder than where you're standing.

I was wondering what is the lowest temp I can fly in? I have a windchill of 16 degree Fahrenheit. The reg temp it's 37 degrees. Need advice.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I flew this morning at -2 F. Flew 3 batteries and no issues. If you can take it the p3 can. Just keep your batteries warm until it is time to fly.

No experience but...

Although the manual recommends not flying below freezing, there are countless posts on this site from experienced UAV pilots in places like Alaska that fly at 0 degrees F and insist they have no problems. So I'd consider it a judgment call on your part.

And just as a side note.. If you are flying in a climate that has snow on the ground and your bird decides to auto land because it runs out of juice, a white Phantom on the white ground might be difficult to spot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4