Weak RC Signal - when not airplane mode

Reaction score
Hey All

Decided to try a Facebook Live Streaming with my P3A & Samsung S5 today.

So i set everything up. Went to the park-ish type of place, with houses around but the field is pretty big itself.
I have flew there before, and went on a distance around 1.200 meters having my s5 on airplane mode. Without any issues.

So today, when i was streaming the video feed, i got first weak transmittion signal and a bit later weak remote controller signal - around 500-600 meters away.
Can this be caused by my phone(which has 2 sim cards turned on), streaming the video online?
If yes, is there any way around it?

I have had a similar issue. I did some non scientific testing and determined it was because of my Note4. What I was able to do was place a thin piece of metal on the back of my Note to keep stray RF signals from interfering. I still had shorter range than when in airplane mode, but I got 3500ft out of it. So it obviously helped. I plan on doing a lot of FB live streaming so I am going to continue testing different setups. My next step is a modified mount that will place my Note4 about 4 inches further from the RC than the stock mount. Once I have some definitive data I will create a thread on it.

Just saw your post and wanted to let you know your not alone and there may be hope!

Reactions: t2adze
I have had a similar issue. I did some non scientific testing and determined it was because of my Note4. What I was able to do was place a thin piece of metal on the back of my Note to keep stray RF signals from interfering. I still had shorter range than when in airplane mode, but I got 3500ft out of it. So it obviously helped. I plan on doing a lot of FB live streaming so I am going to continue testing different setups. My next step is a modified mount that will place my Note4 about 4 inches further from the RC than the stock mount. Once I have some definitive data I will create a thread on it.

Just saw your post and wanted to let you know your not alone and there may be hope!
Thanks! That it pretty interesting! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

The rc control signal received by the phantom (and the strength of which is sent back as telemetry data) can realistically not be influenced by your phone at long range. Your phone is no different than 1000 other phones within the same range of the phantom.

The telemetry signal and video feed, received by your controller, thats a different story, since your phone is inches away from your controller antennas. Mobile networks work a wide range of frequencies. Normally, none operate in the 2.4 GHz band, but LTE can get relatively close, have a look:
UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2.3 and 2.5 GHz are used in the US. If your phantom picks a channel close to that, well, it might cause issues. Consider manually setting a channel far away from your carriers LTE frequency, or change your phone settings when you're flying disable 4G (and wifi/bluetooth).

The rc control signal received by the phantom (and the strength of which is sent back as telemetry data) can realistically not be influenced by your phone at long range. Your phone is no different than 1000 other phones within the same range of the phantom.

The telemetry signal and video feed, received by your controller, thats a different story, since your phone is inches away from your controller antennas. Mobile networks work a wide range of frequencies. Normally, none operate in the 2.4 GHz band, but LTE can get relatively close, have a look:
UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2.3 and 2.5 GHz are used in the US. If your phantom picks a channel close to that, well, it might cause issues. Consider manually setting a channel far away from your carriers LTE frequency, or change your phone settings when you're flying disable 4G (and wifi/bluetooth).

Great idea, Thanks!

My thought was the fact I was using wifi from my phone to stream. I'm going to try using cellular to broadcast instead. Thanks for the info.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj