Weak RC signal at 540m? P3P

Reaction score
I was over trees, but high enough to still have LOS. Am I wrong in thinking there's something wrong? Got me a bit worried. [emoji50]

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1450140855.369508.jpg

Last edited:
Why would I be getting a low rc signal warning at 540m when these things are supposed to fly 2km+ is what I'm asking.

Any number of variables could be causing this. 75m isn't that high, so the signal could be getting dissipated by the proximity to the ground. Also, trees are fairly absorbent of signal IMO. Also what way were your aerials pointing? What were the weather conditions like? Lots of variables. How long did the signal drop for? Did it initiate a RTH? Was it a loss of FPV or a loss of control signal?

I concur. It's a case of knowing your variables when you fly and not get spoked. If in doubt change the way your flying or improve your piloting skills.

Mo...you make no sense. Has nothing to do with my piloting skills. I've flown hundreds of flights with a P2 and a fair amount with the P3, and come from a background of years of nitro RC car racing which are a fair amount more difficult to handle than a gps quad. Of course I get spooked when my RC signal is failing. How the heck does that have anything to do with piloting skills? I'd rather not lose a ton of $ like i've read on this board again and again.

Happydays.. Was a cloudy day, but dry. In an area with very little interference. I could see the quad straight out from me, way above the trees as I was flying away from home point. The warning flashed a few times so I stopped immediately. Didn't actually seem to lose signal, video feed is fine, no RTH initiated, but obviously I was spooked to go any further. Now I'm full of wonder. To me, 540m is ridiculously short of the 2000m I should be able to fly. (In ideal conditions of course) I really don't see how trees could come in to that much play if i'm LOS and well above them.

Ok, more info to go on. The trees will probably have an affect, but don't ask me to explain it scientifically! All I know is they do, and it gets worse when they're wet.

I saw the same thing as you when I was about 1200m away. I was at about 70m, over plain fields when I got the warning signals. The thing is not to panic. All I did was increase height and full signal came back again. I agree with you that 540m isn't great, but there are a lot of variables that can affect the signal, including which way the antennae are pointing.

I have seen a P3P at 3300m distance over a lake, but it was about 250m high. I think height has a fair amount to do with distance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj