Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. mdh2861

So, at various distances, based on the number of tree's or other crap in my way, I get this message. A lot of the time, it is only for a second and then is back to full bars. Is it simply switching channels? Should I take this as a signal that I am entering the "danger zone" and turn around? That is what I have been doing thus far.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Obstacles between your remote controller and Phantom will block the RC/Lightbridge signal. If you keep that path clear, you'll avoid seeing that message.

3. mdh2861

I understand this very clearly, that being said, its not always possible or reasonable. I will just continue to heed that message as a warning that i've pushed the limits of the signal.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

If it's not possible/reasonable, then you can either proceed until the signal breaks (and let RTH kick in) or turn back and fly toward the home point until the message goes away.

5. mdh2861

Since I view RTH as an "emergency" feature, i'll just turn around at the first sign of signal loss. Even if RTH is reliable, there's something about "losing control" of your vehicle that just turns me off. Maybe i'll loosen up some day and learn to rely on it. I would only rely on it to the point of obtaining a strong signal and then cancel out. Either way, I'm very happy with the distance I get with my p4. Situations where I lose signal, are clearly for lack of perfect line of sight. I just was not certain if the image transmission error could just be an auto channel switch.

6. IIIDaemon

...mdh2861, if you still have the FlightLog file, could you post it or email it to me..?
    vadata(at)yahoo(dot)com
    Thanks
    IIIDaemon
    www.GasRecovery.net