WD40

Reaction score
Two of my motors are harder to spin by hand, no strange sounds on them, also when turning off the phantom, they stop faster than the other two,
would a little WD40 on the motor bearings help loosen them?

You could try very little lube of some sort but, if they are binding at all for any reason you will likely need to replace them to be safe and dependable.

I wouldn't spray WD40 anywhere in the motors but I may be wrong. For the sake of what $30 each for a couple new motors I'd just replace them. Better than $1000 falling out of the sky

WD40 is not a lubricant and shouldn't be used on your Phantom motors. Use electric motor cleaner. You can get it from a hobby shop. While you're there, pick up a pinpoint oiler. Trinity makes a nice lavender colored lube. Super thin viscosity. Oil only the ends where the bearings are. The best way to do this is to unbolt the 4 motors and do one at a time. I wouldn't go so far as removing the e clip at the base of the motor. There is a brass washer that's easy to lose when you pop off the e clip. Besides, there isn't anymore benefit to opening it up versus just blasting it clean with motor spray. If you have an air compressor, even better. Spray off the excess lube before reinstalling the motors.

WD40 is very thin for this application. You can use a very small amount to see if it frees them up but they'll likely stiffen up pretty quickly. At least, that's what will happen if the bearings are worn.

One or two motors stopping sooner than the others is common.
Some factory motors are indeed stiffer than they should be. It is most likely the brass spacer under the C-clip on the bottom.
I repaired one of mine and it worked much better.

Its pretty easy. Remove the shell then remove the motor. No need to unsolder anything. Then carefully remove the c-clip BEING CAREFULL NOT TO LOOSE IT. Remove the small brass spacer and on a flat surface sand it down a little at a time.

Tom

Also note that your motors will feel stiffer after flight for a while, wait until they've sat for a while before trying to judge how easily they turn.

Thank you all for your reply.

tom3holer said:
Its pretty easy. Remove the shell then remove the motor. No need to unsolder anything. Then carefully remove the c-clip BEING CAREFULL NOT TO LOOSE IT. Remove the small brass spacer and on a flat surface sand it down a little at a time.

Tom

This really works, thank you Tom! I can tell the difference, now motors are spinning softer,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1tXaC75ABI

Don't use WD40. It is a solvent and water displacement liquid. It leaves a varnish residue (ask gun owners). Use a light oil if you do it at all. Like the rest, I would probably just toss the motor. Adding new bearings, etc, always seems a lesser preference to me since the motors themselves are cheap enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik