Waypoints

I think it is also DJIs safe way to avoid gashes due to pilot error entering in a bad waypoint near a tall tree or other obstacles. This way the pilot knows it is a safe route. Think about all those not so smart beginners.

What happens if you start a saved mission that is far away from battery capacity to get there?

For example, if you save a mission in a place and when you are flying in another place like a hundred miles away from it, you start that first mission by mistake..

What happens if you start a saved mission that is far away from battery capacity to get there?

For example, if you save a mission in a place and when you are flying in another place like a hundred miles away from it, you start that first mission by mistake..
I can tell you that a pop up message will warn you that the start up point is some distance away and asks you to confirm that you still want to start the flight. I did not go any further but I'm assuming if it asks for confirmation that it will start to fly to the first waypoint. I'd it does not hit anything on the WY then I'd guess it would return to go me or land once the battery was low. In any case, probably not pretty. I suspect someone won't read that warning and confirm... then watch the P3 just fly away.

I think this is an issue that DJI needs to address as I set up one saved waypoint and then loaded it, all the while standing in the same spot. The waypoints were all right in front of me. So there was some kind of glitch that had a waypoint way far away.

Reactions: gabrieldps
im using waypoints as a ¨cable cam¨

you can add two points, set different height between them, set the speed, and do your cinematic shot :)

Another thread has talked about simply flying the route on your simulator in the app, saving the WP's as you go, then take your P3 out and have it actually fly the WP mission.

Are waypoints the "best practice" for flying through very tight space? I'm amazed at how people fly between 2 spires or between branches in a tree....at speed. Is this accomplished with waypoints and a slow meticulous flight? Can you set the waypoints on a slow initial flight so you can focus on a good shot on the second flight???? Just asking.

Despite someone people here trying REALLY HARD.. lol to tell you that this is a safe way for DJI blah blah blah blah... The fact is that this a waste of time and battery and its not really waypoint/GS Station... people might as well fly manually and get it over with...

Despite someone people here trying REALLY HARD.. lol to tell you that this is a safe way for DJI blah blah blah blah... The fact is that this a waste of time and battery and its not really waypoint/GS Station... people might as well fly manually and get it over with...

As a recent joiner and new flyer, I have to say that my initial impression is that DJI is relatively responsive to user demand and the frequency of software updates and releases is quicker than most industries. I may have a different point of view a year or two from now, but it does seem that the "ask" of more functionality for Waypoints will not fall on deaf ears. Development and testing is a time consuming endeavor and you want them to release reliable updates, not just quick updates with little testing. I think in time, they may have a reasonable upgrade to the capability. Does anyone have a list of the top 5 ways to improve Waypoint flying in the DJI Go app?

My top ask would be to allow for pre-planning using a Google Map.

You can prepare waypoints with google maps using simulator.. I use in this way when I need waypoints

I actually LOVE the way you set the waypoints. I recently filmed the holes of a golf course. For each hole I did one run carefully flying to the waypoints, setting height, direction, etc. Then I told it to follow the waypoints and I could focus all my attention on camera angle while recording. Even with years of drone flying there's no way I could have done it that smoothly at the same time at controlling the camera without hitting trees in close quarters. And there's no way it would have been as accurate as selecting points on a map.

But if I had one gripe, and it's a huge gripe, I wish it could fly faster from waypoint to waypoint. The current top speed is far too slow, and well below what it can do by flying manually.

Isn't the simulator only available on the Apple version of the app? I don't see it on my Android version of DJI Go.

Yes right for the moment only in iOS !!

I like this. I just finished 36 holes. Manually was not very good. It was not as dmooth as i would have liked. I think my next course I will try waypoints. Did it make smooth turns like on a dogleg?
Very smooth. The accuracy was to within 5-8 feet of each of the waypoints which is more than good. But like I said in my post, I wish it would go faster because I have to ramp the speed up and down for each video in post production. Otherwise each of the holes is over minute long which makes for a very boring video.

Can you sell this service to golf courses or is it more likely they will just buy their own drone?

Can you sell this service to golf courses or is it more likely they will just buy their own drone?
I imagine either scenario is possible. I did everything as a favor -- but most of the work for me was in post production and there's a lot of required knowledge for that in addition to acquiring the clips (which in itself also requires a lot of knowledge, not just having quadcopter).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31