Waypoints & Gimbal Pitch

Reaction score
Trying to use waypoints with a P3P. Is there no way for the app to record the pitch of the gimbal (camera tilt) during waypoints? I would think so as it's a known parameter But mine clearly isn't doing that. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Why would u need to record the pitch of the gimbal? (Newbie)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm flying from Waypoint 1 to Waypoint 2 and on Waypoint 1 I want the camera to show the horizon and on Waypoint 2 I want it to show the ground.... I want the gimbal to tilt, automatically from Waypoint 1 to Waypoint 2.

I would think it can do that.

Op? So as it flies to each waypoint, you want the camera to adjust to a specified parameter on its own?

That's not possible. However, you can adjust the camera manually as your Phantom flies the mission.

That's not possible. However, you can adjust the camera manually as your Phantom flies the mission.
Wow. That really sucks and I'm dumbfounded that DJI wouldn't think that is something that should be a part of waypoints.

If the point of Waypoints is to get the Phantom to fly the same exact path over and over, why would they think I wouldn't care about where the camera is pointed?

I was planning on setting a mission so that every three days I would fly the exact same path and record the leaves changing for Autumn. Then I'd be able to dissolve between shots showing a progressive change.... but if I can't guarantee the camera is pointed the same way each time, it kind of busts that plan.

I don't even see a place to get a digital value of the gimbal's pitch. I could at least get that and use that exact decimal value - but (unless I'm not looking in the right place) we only get the dots to the left of the camera settings.

This would be cool/useful if you're doing a long term timelapse... like a house or structure from beginning to end.

The Autopilot app can adjust the gimbal, though they currently don't implement waypoints (next release). The zip line feature might do what you need though.

I'd say adding a decimal value to the gimbal tilt is something logical to ask for but what u want is a bit much. Why don't u just set your way points, fly your path , and duplicate that every time. Technically your idea, which is good, would still work but just not as perfect as u want.

As someone who is working on an iOS ground station app I can tell you this feature is possible but it has to be managed by the app, it's not possible to set the gimbal pitch as a waypoint parameter when building a waypoint mission in the SDK. In our app I calculate the distance to a point of interest with the height of the drone to get the desired pitch of the gimbal and set it automatically in the app. Done properly it can create some really smooth results. While our app certainly won't be the end all be all of ground stations we believe it does have some nice features. Here is a little demo flight I took back in July that illustrates. Our app looks quite a bit different now than when this video was shot and includes beginning and ending altitude but you will get the idea.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I found this thread after wondering why my newly bought P3 didn't pitch adjust the camera on waypoints.

So It's been almost a year and this need has yet to be implemented? The whole point of waypoints is to mimic a flight exactly as flown, position wise (speed per segment would be nice too).

It does no good to have it fly a path but unable to take video at the same pitch angle point as the recorded points.

The Inspire can do this. And it's just firmware (YES: I am an Engineer / Programmer / other) so it can be done. If I had known this was not implemented I would have looked at other drones.

It is possible on Autopilot, I can't speak about litchi. In Autopilot in advance mode there is a setting that can do what the OP is asking for, in fact there is a way on how to interpolate the focus points so it creates an smooth transition from the ground to the horizon. I just shot a video at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA . At one waypoint I was focusing in the "Rose Bowl" sign and on my next waypoint I focused in the center of the field as the aircraft picked up altitude. I interpolated the focus point so it created an smooth transition, rather than a jerky, abrupt movement.

Check out, focus on the first 50 seconds of the video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In the video mission of the Rose Bowl, the last waypoint in Autopilot has a camera trigger. You have the option to set the altitude of your focus point - POI.

Here is an screen shot from Autopilot:

Attachments

• SCRN 01.JPG
    SCRN 01.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 323
Litchi works fine on iPad. I use a mini 3

Litchi is also a great App.
Both, Autopilot and litchi produce great results.
I do not know that much about litchi ( I use Autopilot all the time) but the consensus is that it is user friendly, easy to learn.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic