Waypoint flying

Reaction score
Can anyone shed any light on how waypoints are sent to the Phantom? Are they sent in one go before you start the flight and cached in the aircraft, or are they sent one by one by the app as the aircraft reaches the next waypoint in the sequence?

Can anyone shed any light on how waypoints are sent to the Phantom? Are they sent in one go before you start the flight and cached in the aircraft, or are they sent one by one by the app as the aircraft reaches the next waypoint in the sequence?

All waypoint information is sent once it's initiated. This way the Phantom can fly the entire "route" with no more input from the transmitter.

What is "Waypoint Flying"? How do you get to it? Would this be similar to "Cablecam" on the Solo?
Very interested to see if Phantom comes out with Cablecam and Orbit anytime soon!

Thanks Tcope. I suspected this may be the answer. The reason I asked is that both my Phantom and my friends suffer frequent disconnects when flying GPS or ATTI, even at relatively short distance away(90m), but, when I recently flew 3 different test waypoint flights out to a distance of 480m I never suffered any disconnects at all.

Thanks Tcope. I suspected this may be the answer. The reason I asked is that both my Phantom and my friends suffer frequent disconnects when flying GPS or ATTI, even at relatively short distance away(90m), but, when I recently flew 3 different test waypoint flights out to a distance of 480m I never suffered any disconnects at all.
Yup. I've send my P2vplus on 6000 foot flies using waypoints. Jus make sure to use the correct altitude to clear objects. 3rd party apps also allow you to set the height of each waypoint and also do banked turns.

Waypoints are autonomous flying .. Autopilot so to speak. When you say go the waypoint info for all the flight is uploaded at one time. The reason the quad may be beyond radio range so it has to cache that info if not she would be lost. I call autonomous flying pucker power. Why every time I do it out to a mile or so my cheeks pucker till she comes back. Hate the silence and the waiting. But I do it all the time. Make sure you have enough height to clear all obstacles. And remember she flys on an angle to the first waypoint slowly gaining altitude. I hav to set my first way point about 6-10 ft from me so she will climb altitude to clear the trees. Trees here are 120-135 ft tall. Love being able to set time at each waypoint, doing banked turns, modifying altitude. You just have to be real smart where you are flying. I've even driven to an area to scope it out for wires and towers etc before flying there. You have to be very smart with battery power giving yourself enough to return home or she will land where ever she is if it gets critically low. Best way point flying I have found is with the litchi app. Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up about Litchi. I have downloaded it now and will give it a go tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31