Waypoint Flying - GS vs. DJI Vision APP

Reaction score
I have been interested in Waypoint flying since receiving my Phantom 2 Vision a couple of months ago...so a long story short, I just purchased an iPad mini to use with the GS app. Then I found out I need to spend around $200.00 for the btu and the rest of the stuff to get that to work. ( I did read some place that all you need to use GS is an iPad nothing more, thus the $600. iPad) But using the DJI Vision app which does offer waypoint flying seems to be enough. So my question is, if the addition of the BTU and other parts you need to use Ground Station is worth the $200.00? It appears to me that GS offers a few more bells and whistles and a longer range than the Vision App? Can anyone offer some advice please. I have not done any waypoint flying as yet because I live close to a major airport and the app wont let you! Not to mention I am paranoid about where I fly. I would love to see Dji make a Quad already set up with the BTU and other items built in. I am not fond of opening up the quad and messing around with stuff.

R4boat said:
I have been interested in Waypoint flying since receiving my Phantom 2 Vision a couple of months ago...so a long story short, I just purchased an iPad mini to use with the GS app. Then I found out I need to spend around $200.00 for the btu and the rest of the stuff to get that to work. ( I did read some place that all you need to use GS is an iPad nothing more, thus the $600. iPad) But using the DJI Vision app which does offer waypoint flying seems to be enough. So my question is, if the addition of the BTU and other parts you need to use Ground Station is worth the $200.00? It appears to me that GS offers a few more bells and whistles and a longer range than the Vision App? Can anyone offer some advice please. I have not done any waypoint flying as yet because I live close to a major airport and the app wont let you! Not to mention I am paranoid about where I fly. I would love to see Dji make a Quad already set up with the BTU and other items built in. I am not fond of opening up the quad and messing around with stuff.

I haven't seen the vision app so I don't know what one has vs. the other.

I do have the Phantom 2 non-vision and the GS including the extra hardware... you don't have to open the Phantom to install it. I used extra strength double sided tape to attach the transmitter behind the gimbal and then you can connect directly to the Can bus on the leg.. that's basically it. (I ziptie the can Bus cable to the leg too as an extra level of protection in case the double-sided tape gets loose... but I have to say... I have tried to get it to come off and it is on there good :) )

I think the ground station is pretty cool. I don't use it as much now that I added an FPV rig - but I can definately see the use of using it to fly to a target you want to video capture and pausing the route, taking control... and then using it to return to a waypoint you want.

whether it's worth 200.00 is up to you :)

I have a P2 non vision and I believe that's more what the GS is designed for. I would think your better off to install antenna upgrades on a vision and use the available app.

Thanks I didn't know you didn't have to open the quad up. I will give it some thought.

I have the P2 non vision with GS. My neighbor has the P2V+ with the WiFi extender. There are definite differences in the two apps. Perhaps the biggest one for me is the ability to plan a mission "offline" on the iPad, save it, then go out and fly it later, maybe days later.

But I'm not sure that you can add the DataLink/BTU to the Vision without opening it up. If I recall, there's no CAN bus connector on the leg of a Vision, is there?

Your correct there is no Can Bus on the Vision 2 leg...Maybe next year I will look to put the btu and all that on the quad, but for now I think I will just use the DJi app and play around with it first. I am near an airport so I can't even use the waypoint flying feature around here. I have to find a big open area to try the waypoint feature. thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj