waypoint flight

wow.....tried to export to CSV.....Launches it in Exel?...Still doesn't recognize the file when I try to "Upload a File"......grrr

Mission Hub - Litchi ....Let me know if you can see this or not.....I have changed my waypoints to 49 ft insead of the original altitude of 30 ft after reading about the possible fluctuation in the drones altitude.......Hey thanks again

Ok got it now. However through all that I forgot the question. lol

I did have a few about why the 394 ft at the turn point home and then lower out at the pier end.
Also the POI along the pier but out in the water by itself?

Otherwise, looks pretty much how I would fly that.

Thx Air....... when the Drone is running along the beach like that I would prefer to have it at a much lower altitude..... I wonder what your thoughts are?...... Also yesterday I tried to fly a very small waypoints route but my drone would not engage after pressing play..... My switch was in the f position yet my drone would just remain hovering and not proceed to Waypoint number one...... Do I need to fly the drone over to Waypoint number one in order for the mission to commence?..... other than flying some helicopters and airplanes I am rather new at this drone thing..... Sorry for all the silly questions

I think there is an official distance programed in the app that you must physically be to have it start the mission however it seems it's a long way out. You aren't likely to encounter it.
I don't recall what it is, I usually just stick a WP about 50 ft away as my starting WP..

I usually will not have the DJI app activated in any way when I start a Litchi mission. I do anything I think I need in DJI and then close it. I then use Litchi sometimes to launch, then upload, then start mission.

They definitely won't work well at all together so always close DJI when using Litchi.

I think there is an official distance programed in the app that you must physically be to have it start the mission however it seems it's a long way out. You aren't likely to encounter it.
I don't recall what it is, I usually just stick a WP about 50 ft away as my starting WP..

I usually will not have the DJI app activated in any way when I start a Litchi mission. I do anything I think I need in DJI and then close it. I then use Litchi sometimes to launch, then upload, then start mission.

They definitely won't work well at all together so always close DJI when using Litchi.
Yes.... I am pretty sure I had the DJI app closed at the time..... But I will certainly keep that in mind..... I am now waiting on some better weather to attempt a flight on the beach...... Can't thank you enough for all your help..... I will surely return to this forum and do some reading..... I have a lot to learn..... thanks to everyone... Have a great day

It can vary but mine is usually pretty accurate. So I'd say 90% of the time you will be fine, in my experience. If you can maintain signal/connection to the AC during your low flying parts of the mission I say go for it and just watch the live feed carefully keeping your finger on the toggle switch to put it back into P-Mode as an emergency stop in case you see any possible problems. Once you are 100ft over any obstacles then I would stop worrying and let it fly out of range to do it's thing and come back.

In my opinion the difference between 30ft and 100ft can be the difference between awesome footage and mediocre/boring footage. I'd say it's worth a try. No way I'd let it fly without my being able to monitor it at 30ft though.
I have noticed that you definitely need to give yourself some room when doing way points. I wish they were accurate to a 1-3 feet, which could make for much more intense video, but there is a good chance you will crash your drone if you don't give yourself a decent amount of space. I have heard recommendations of 10 to 164 feet. Would love to see some testing during different conditions on this.

Reactions: cj5jeep
...another thing you can do is create 1-2 extra waypoints after the pier and prior the tree line to force increasing the altitude. Ive forced my P3 to climb while slowing the forward speed to help it get over obstacles. Ive used this successfully to record very close to buildings etc. Also I suggest to run this at a slow speed on the 1st go.

cj5jeep, I reviewed your mission and I do have some advice / recommendations since you asked for it.

I made some changes, here is my version of the misson: OOB Pier - Norman Edition

Congrats, this is a cool mission and a great location. The first thing I noticed is that you have a whole lot of WP's and POI's for straight lines up and down the beach.. IMO, this is unnecessary and will only serve to clog up the software and make unsmooth video as it continuously transitions from one POI to the next. In my version I eliminated 75% of the WP's and almost all of the beach POI's. Instead I used a fixed heading parallel to the beach and elected to interpolate the gimbal with a fixed -11 pitch. This will give you a really smooth "cable cam" effect as it flies along heading toward the pier facing the beach. I also cleaned up some of your POI's along the pier as they we assigned to a WP that would not be optimal.

Lastly, I noticed that you have some actions assigned to some of your WP's. Notably WP #15 where you fly up to 120m. Keep in mind you have curved turns enabled for this mission, which unfortunately disables all the actions so none of that will work like you expect. It will just keep flying and not stop and do the 360 spin you want. You have to disable curved turns, but then the problem is that the drone will pause at each WP which will ruin the effect you want completely. I am not sure if there is a middle ground here and how you can keep your actions with the smooth curved turns. Maybe someone else who knows about this can chime in and advise?

Anyway, good luck with your mission. You will probably need to fly it a few times to turn out the kinks and figure out what works best. In my experience it's never perfect the first try. Also be sure to enable "waypoint defined" heading mode in your settings for my changes to work.

Norman

Fantastic stuff Norman.....And thx to all who for helping me out.......I figured all those waypoints were not the correct way to go after I had produced this mission....It being my first, figured I would go have to learn from my mistakes.....I will certainly attempt this revamped mission once I get enough bal!$ to let this drone take off without my control....Still a little apprehensive..lol........Until then I will continue to enjoy flying this thing around the beach and getting more confident...Thx again guys

Reactions: NormanNormal
Lastly, I noticed that you have some actions assigned to some of your WP's. Notably WP #15 where you fly up to 120m. Keep in mind you have curved turns enabled for this mission, which unfortunately disables all the actions so none of that will work like you expect. It will just keep flying and not stop and do the 360 spin you want. You have to disable curved turns, but then the problem is that the drone will pause at each WP which will ruin the effect you want completely.
I've only had my phantom a week or so and done one mission with Litchi, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. But could you set another waypoint close to the one you want a panoramic shot and keep the same heading, but get it to rotate in the opposite direction?
I guess you would have to slow it down also so your phantom doesn't rotate too fast.

I've only had my phantom a week or so and done one mission with Litchi, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. But could you set another waypoint close to the one you want a panoramic shot and keep the same heading, but get it to rotate in the opposite direction?
I guess you would have to slow it down also so your phantom doesn't rotate too fast.

Hmm, good point that might work, but I think it would happen too fast and ruin the shot. I actually looked into this matter further and according to the coders at Litchi the limitation with curved turns is not in their software but in fact the DJI SDK, which is very sad. If we could do actions with curved turns it would take the cinematography with litchi to a whole new level. Another issue I have is that you can only set one cruising speed for the whole mission. So if you have a far away place you want to film you need to fly out at 30mph to get there. Then you want to do a nice slow POI pan around it, but can't control the speed so you fly way too fast. Can't have it all I guess... Unless there is a way to slow it down? A trick maybe? Any really experienced Litchi operators have any ideas?

Reactions: cj5jeep
Hmm, good point that might work, but I think it would happen too fast and ruin the shot. I actually looked into this matter further and according to the coders at Litchi the limitation with curved turns is not in their software but in fact the DJI SDK, which is very sad. If we could do actions with curved turns it would take the cinematography with litchi to a whole new level. Another issue I have is that you can only set one cruising speed for the whole mission. So if you have a far away place you want to film you need to fly out at 30mph to get there. Then you want to do a nice slow POI pan around it, but can't control the speed so you fly way too fast. Can't have it all I guess... Unless there is a way to slow it down? A trick maybe? Any really experienced Litchi operators have any ideas?
I agree, many of the places I video are 1.5 kilometers away over water It would be much better to have programmable speed between WPs. That would allow quick flights to where the "real" mission and videoing begins.

I am about ready......Tomorrow is the the day I attempt my first waypoint flight.....The ocean wind has finally subsided....I want to fly my beach mission and I would like someone's thoughts on how fast to fly?.....I presently have it set to 17 mph I believe......It says it will return home in 8 minutes....Seems a little long to me.....I wonder what the pros and cons are of speeding the P3P up a little........Am I better off flying a bit slower? Or it makes now difference how fast I ask it to go....Thanking you in advance.....Rick

For me 3.8 mph is nice for slides/cable cam shots if subject matter is from 5-10 ft or out to about 30 yds.

If further away, that is going to likely be too slow.

If there is lots to see(along the beach) 11-14 mph is about right but may be bordering on too fast around the end of the pier.

You may have to fly it at several speeds to get what you want or just do that in post.

You should be fine. Eight minutes should leave you a fair bit of reserve battery,but remember a headwind will slow it down.
I had my second flight this morning over the bay here,which was about 11 minutes long. I was dreading something going wrong,but it went ok.
One thing about my flight which may come in handy if you're worried, is to record in 1920x1080@60fps. This way you can speed up your flight time to save a bit of worry
and if the video is too fast you can slow it down during editing.
I slowed mine to 80% and it still looks great.(at least that's my theory)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues