waypoint flight

Reaction score
Hello....I have a question concerning waypoint flying....I have just finished designing my first waypoint mission where I have asked the drone to fly at 30 ft around an ocean pier.....ending up on my 12th waypoint over the beach at 30 ft......My 13th waypoint is roughly 60 meters away, directly over town square at an altitude of 400 ft.......My question is will the drone shoot over to waypoint 13 and then accend to 400ft? or will it accend as it travels 60 meters to waypoint 13?.....Thanks in advance.....Rick

Will ascend as it makes its way to waypoint 13.
This sounds a little dangerous if there are obstacles on its way.
Since you are only at 30' at waypoint 12 I would ascend to at least say 200' before leaving the beach.
Just my thoughts.

It will ascend as it travels in a diagonal. Only the first WP after takeoff will it go straight up to your desired altitude before proceeding along to the WP.

I must also caution you because you are planning a low altitude flight. The P3 only uses a barometric sensor for altitude calculation and it can be way off as your flight goes on. I've seen mine vary as much as 30ft. Here are some notes on this from litchi documentation, should also apply:

-----

Aircraft height (altimeter) may easily vary 15-20m (50-66ft) off the actual height after aircraft flying and heating up several minutes. You are recommended to let IMU warn up properly on the ground especially in cold weather, and set waypoint height minimum 25m (82ft) above any obstacles. Cold IMU calibration trick is NOT recommended which might incur more discrepancy in altimeter reading.

For example, if there is a tree 30m height and you set the first waypoint to 40m above that tree to maintain a 10m gap and the last waypoint is also set to 40m above the same tree after 10 minutes mission flight. The aircraft might reach the first waypoint well above the tree, but when it reaches the last waypoint 10 minutes later, it might hit the tree due to discrepancy of barometer though the altimeter is still reporting 40m height.

Wow....surprised to hear that the altitude can vary so much.....I had planned to fly down the entire beach at 30 ft.....So.....I should maybe reconsider my altitude? What would be a safe altitude to fly along a beach.....I was hoping to keep the drone rather low but not after reading your thoughts.....Thanks.....And thanks for the quick responses concerning my waypoint question.....

Wow....surprised to hear that the altitude can vary so much.....I had planned to fly down the entire beach at 30 ft.....So.....I should maybe reconsider my altitude? What would be a safe altitude to fly along a beach.....I was hoping to keep the drone rather low but not after reading your thoughts.....Thanks.....And thanks for the quick responses concerning my waypoint question.....

It can vary but mine is usually pretty accurate. So I'd say 90% of the time you will be fine, in my experience. If you can maintain signal/connection to the AC during your low flying parts of the mission I say go for it and just watch the live feed carefully keeping your finger on the toggle switch to put it back into P-Mode as an emergency stop in case you see any possible problems. Once you are 100ft over any obstacles then I would stop worrying and let it fly out of range to do it's thing and come back.

In my opinion the difference between 30ft and 100ft can be the difference between awesome footage and mediocre/boring footage. I'd say it's worth a try. No way I'd let it fly without my being able to monitor it at 30ft though.

It can vary but mine is usually pretty accurate. So I'd say 90% of the time you will be fine, in my experience. If you can maintain signal/connection to the AC during your low flying parts of the mission I say go for it and just watch the live feed carefully keeping your finger on the toggle switch to put it back into P-Mode as an emergency stop in case you see any possible problems. Once you are 100ft over any obstacles then I would stop worrying and let it fly out of range to do it's thing and come back.

In my opinion the difference between 30ft and 100ft can be the difference between awesome footage and mediocre/boring footage. I'd say it's worth a try. No way I'd let it fly without my being able to monitor it at 30ft though.
Hey thanks for your help Norman....Much appreciated...Would it be possible to upload my mission here so you can have a look at it and tell me what you think?.....This P3P is my first drone and this would be the first attempt at drawing up my own mission.....Thanks again

Reactions: NormanNormal
Sure, upload it to the misson hub and post it here. Full disclosure I am not an expert and I got mine not long ago but I have flown aroud 70 successful flights/missons.

One thing that helped me gain confidence in how the aircraft behaves with waypoints was starting with simple missons and doing more and more from there.

If your a fan of waypoints then just wait and see what Autopilot is getting ready to release.... very very nice waypoint options

If your a fan of waypoints then just wait and see what Autopilot is getting ready to release.... very very nice waypoint options
What are they about to release? I know there working on a circle and grid pattern waypoint option

Grrrr.....can't seem to upload my mission....Won't recognize the bin file.....Hey and thanks to everyone.....What a great forum!

Grrrr.....can't seem to upload my mission....Won't recognize the bin file.....Hey and thanks to everyone.....What a great forum!

If it's Litchi you can send it to the mission hub and it should show up there and we can access it that way.

Yes....I have it set up in mission hub..........Name.....OOB Pier.....Thanks for your support guys

What country state? I don't find OOB Pier with Litchi search.

That is where I was looking, I don't see it on the map. Hang on.....

Nope just Portland Light house North of you by "veidog"

Too bad we couldn't help. Anything else we can try?

When you have the mission loaded on litchi mission hub in your browser, click on "missions" then export to CSV. Then upload the file here next with the "upload a file" button.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31