Way too many issues...

1. "The P3 will not fly away because it goes into atti, it will drift with the wind..." Any time you don't have control you have a high probability of a fly away in my opinion. If it goes 10ft, 100ft or 1000ft away from you because IT decided to go into ATTI and the wind drifted it away, you essentially lost control and it's a problem that could end up in a crash and should be addressed by the owner so it won't happen again.

2. I know how to fly in atti, save the negativity...

4. Just because you don't have issues with yours doesn't mean other won't either...

5. Atti is there because of the possibility of losing gps signal but it should not go into atti randomly every other flight.

6. DJI is promoting a "smart" bird that should almost fly by itself. GPS/compass should work as promoted and not randomly. And save the magnetic fields, blah, blah comments...we are aware...
No negativity meant. A flyaway is only when you have no control, when it goes into atti you still have control. So calling it a flyaway is misinformation and irresponsible to say.

Even with the temporary atti moments, I've never felt I was at fly away risk. Now if it were phantom 2, it would be a different story. I lost two of those because of GPS issues. But on the phantom 3, ) I always have at least 8 satellites connected. The thing always knows where home is. Intermittent atti or not. Anyway, I did a compass calibration today, fifteen feet from a container no less, and the flight went through without a single unintended atti. I also think the bird is flying even more solid on the new firmware. Same top speeds, even at 0 Celsius. Acceleration is slower but not that bad.

No negativity meant. A flyaway is only when you have no control, when it goes into atti you still have control. So calling it a flyaway is misinformation and irresponsible to say.

Im just calling out the possibility of a flyaway. Having your system randomly switch fly modes for no reason is one of them - especially if your day turns windy because it will drift with the wind. Now you have to account how far you are away from the bird, if close enough no problem because you may landed it, if you can barely see it now thats a different issue with different outcomes.

A bouncing compass, gps is not good people...i don't care if you are an expert pilot.

AEE makes a good drone easy to fly. But it's app is really basic and no gimbal for the same price as you get a p3s. They have the same issues as everyone else. There are a hundred times as many DJI drones out there being used and the same type and number of complaints. So I guess if you look at percentages the DJI is better. It seemed that those with issues are all beginners making beginner mistakes. Are there some birds with problems? Sure it is a flying computer they can develop bugs.

Totally disagree. I have had a Solo for 6 month now. It took me zero reading or "learning" how to use the **** thing. Very, very intuitive UI. You can't say that about a Phantom, which I got a couple of days ago. The UI is horrible.

Having said this. The Solo is of course not as "good" as a P3P, when it comes to stabilizes footage. And it didn't fly as long. Other than that, it's "better" in many other things...

Thanks,

Kmd
I agree, I have a Solo (and an Iris+, P1, P2, and a Yuneec Q500), love my Solo and the Q500. There are things I like about each of them and all have been problem free. Overall the P3P is the best machine, but the Solo is quickly gaining IMO, and the Q500's follow me mode is the best, again IMO.

Problem here is that GPS / compass should be solid once it is up in air. P3 should not be switching to other flight modes mid air otherwise a fly away is possible.
You are right. Compass and GPS should be rock solid and they are for just about everyone flying a P3.
If you have random GPS disconnects, that indicates something is not right.
You didn't mention compass in your initial post. Have you also had compass problems?

Anyway, I did a compass calibration today, fifteen feet from a container no less ...
In that case, you're lucky you didn't screw things up.
DJI specifically advise against compass calibration near metal objects such as metal bridge, cars, scaffolding.
Unnecessary compass calibration has the risk of calibrating in an area with a distorted magnetic field because of large steel items.
Calibrate your Phantom's compass to correct for that distortion and when it flies away from the steel, your compass doesn't know where north is.
Do not calibrate your compass anywhere near steel or iron. Common problem areas are concrete structures or sidewalks with hidden steel reinforcing.

For safe flying learn what compass calibration is and when it is necessary and don't screw up your compass with unnecessary calibrations in risky areas.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers