Way To Turn Off Gimbal During Idle

Reaction score
Sometimes I like to sync my videos from my Phantom 3 to my iPhone using the GoApp. However, this sometimes requires that the drone is left idle for an extended period of time.

This is not really a problem but I have noticed that during this time, the camera and gimbal system get reasonably hot, causing me to think that leaving it like this may be doing the drone no good.

Also, during this time, I have observed that the gimbal makes a quiet grinding (perhaps not the best word to describe) noise / mechanical noise and I would like to know if this is normal or is it a result of leaving the drone idle?

What I Would like to know is: Is there is a way to turn the gimbal off while it is idle as explained?

Chris P

No. You can keep the gimbal cool by pointing a small fan at your Phantom while it's sitting idle.

Sometimes I like to sync my videos from my Phantom 3 to my iPhone using the GoApp. However, this sometimes requires that the drone is left idle for an extended period of time.

This is not really a problem but I have noticed that during this time, the camera and gimbal system get reasonably hot, causing me to think that leaving it like this may be doing the drone no good.

Also, during this time, I have observed that the gimbal makes a quiet grinding (perhaps not the best word to describe) noise / mechanical noise and I would like to know if this is normal or is it a result of leaving the drone idle?

What I Would like to know is: Is there is a way to turn the gimbal off while it is idle as explained?

Chris P
I keep getting a message saying 'gimbal Overloaded' when using th simulater, is this too caused by the drone being idle

To the OP, why not just take out the SD card and put it in a card reader then put the files on your laptop or desktop. And if your wanting to use your phone to show someone your clips you can just upload some to a cloud server.

No. You can keep the gimbal cool by pointing a small fan at your Phantom while it's sitting idle.
Exactly what I do... a small fan (powered by a 18650 battery) that I keep in my drone kit. I use it also to cool myself in the field.

s-l300.jpg

You must always remove the gimbal clamp when turning on the drone, also when using the simulator. Or else you are frying the gimbal motors.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Many thanks for that, I had removed the clamp but had not removed the plastic block as I was not going to fly !!.
I have had the overloaded message but not an overheated message, is there such a message ? and as I have not seen one , can I take it that I have not damaged the gimbal motor ? (I've only had it a week !!!

Many thanks for that, I had removed the clamp but had not removed the plastic block as I was not going to fly !!.
I have had the overloaded message but not an overheated message, is there such a message ? and as I have not seen one , can I take it that I have not damaged the gimbal motor ? (I've only had it a week !!!

When turning on the drone the gimbal makes some movement to calibrate and will also be "active", even when using the simulator.
And yes, I am talking about the plastic block. [emoji2]
If obstructed, the motors cannot move and will give the overload/overheat message, but I guess the firmware will somehow protect the motors from actually frying...

When turning on the drone the gimbal makes some movement to calibrate and will also be "active", even when using the simulator.
And yes, I am talking about the plastic block. [emoji2]
If obstructed, the motors cannot move and will give the overload/overheat message, but I guess the firmware will somehow protect the motors from actually frying...

Thank you very much, I feel much better now having a better idea of whats going on..
Now all I need is a small fan and I should be safe.
Fly well and enjoy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan