Way to start quad off ground?

Reaction score
Sometimes I fly at the beach. I was wondering if there's a way to boot and start the quad off ground. I guess I can't toss it but can I boot it while holding it steady in my hands or something?

Yep, you can boot up while holding it in your hand. Practice somewhere besides the beach at first.
I would not suggest tossing it. Just add power to climb and let it go when you are sure it wants to go up up and away.

Smart, not wanting sand in the motors. They wouldn't like you very much.

Folks do it on boats too. ;)

Sometimes I fly at the beach. I was wondering if there's a way to boot and start the quad off ground. I guess I can't toss it but can I boot it while holding it steady in my hands or something?
Use a lanyard for the remote and let the remote flop down on your abdomen/belly. RIght hand back leg of phantom and keep above head. Always look at phantom. With Left hand - pinky on left stick and thumb on right stick and pull in and down for csc. Let both sticks go and then throttle up until you think there is enough lift to let go.

Practice first without props (don't let go though).
The practice away from live objects and in an open field before doing it on the beach.

Use a lanyard for the remote and let the remote flop down on your abdomen/belly. RIght hand back leg of phantom and keep above head. Always look at phantom. With Left hand - pinky on left stick and thumb on right stick and pull in and down for csc. Let both sticks go and then throttle up until you think there is enough lift to let go.

Practice first without props (don't let go though).
The practice away from live objects and in an open field before doing it on the beach.

Yea, what Mako said... except
Why would you grab the Compass leg? We humans have voltage flowing through us which could upset the compass. Some of us have more than others.

I suspect I have totally fried the compass on my FC40... :( thankfully the new one arrived today.

LOL, really Mako, without props and you add " (don't let go though) ". I probably would have too.

**** I love this show.

You could use a box as a launch platform or sometimes it's good to have a mate - but brief him well and practice with the Phantom turned off first so he knows what is going to happen.

I usually use a box but in case I don't. Thanks mako iflywy - some follow-ups:

Doesn't the quad need to be leveled when is booting? I guess not but if I hold it tilted will it affect the gyros or campus or gimbal?

I can hold it and auto take off right? I think it'll go up then auto height based on barometer right?

My FC40 doesn't need to be level while booting.

I know nothing about auto takeoff :(

I usually use a box but in case I don't. Thanks mako iflywy - some follow-ups:

Doesn't the quad need to be leveled when is booting? I guess not but if I hold it tilted will it affect the gyros or campus or gimbal?

I can hold it and auto take off right? I think it'll go up then auto height based on barometer right?

Nope.. Does not need to be level when booting, but I would try and keep still. Think of this... you turn on your phantom 3 on grass - it's not perfectly levelled right? The camera still follows the horizon. You can always initialise on the ground and then hand launch as per my post above..

Not sure about auto take off as the VPS in normal situations kicks in and launches 4 feet up and holds. Now what im not sure is does the phantom 3 stay at the released altitude, does it rise the extra 4 ft or does it drop to 4 ft.

And holding the compass leg only minutely affects the compass readings. I am sure that iron in your blood cant affect it that much. DJI would have warned us to not hold the compass leg in the compass calibration if they thought our hands would compromised the calibration.

Last edited:
Nope.. Does not need to be level when booting, but I would try and keep still. Think of this... you turn on your phantom 3 on grass - it's not perfectly levelled right? The camera still follows the horizon. You can always initialise on the ground and then hand launch as per my post above..

Not sure about auto take off as the VPS in normal situations. kicks in and launches 4 feet up and holds. Now what im not sure is does the phantom 3 stay at the released altitude, does it rise the extra 4 ft or does it drop to 4 ft.

And holding the compass leg only minutely affects the compass readings. I am sure that iron in your blood cant affect it that much. DJI would have warned us to not hold the compass leg in the compass calibration if they thought our hands would compromised the calibration.

I agree about keeping it still, but folks do it in a 25' fishing boat, on the ocean.
I guess keeping it still when you can is a good thing.
These videos may be of some help. :D

Iron in my blood... Sometimes you crack me up Mako. :D

Reactions: bobmyers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20