way to disable "auto land?

Reaction score
wondering if there is a way to disable the auto land feature on second battery warning level....this in case of emergency for example if phantom 2 was in failsafe and 2nd level battery warning level was reached the unit would auto land wherever it was.. or if you had flown out to far and didnt have enough juice to make it home and needed a little more power, i know you can increase throttle to keep altitude but in failsafe there is no way to do that....sorry if it had been covered already but i could find anything on the phantom 2 about disabling it..

thanks

Why do you want to do that?

The final warning level + auto land is to avoid crashing the Phantom uncontrollably from great height and risking injuring or damaging other ppl\their property or the Phantom itself.

Re: way to disable "auto land?

I think my post explained why I want to... You can bypass the auto land with throttle when NOT in failsafe but while IN failsafe you cannot....for the sake of an additional 5% battery life I would like the extra insurance that my 2k investment makes a landing where I know where it is....I would never intentionally fly my bird down to 0% to risk the safety of others.. This is for extra protection in an emergency situation.. that is not where this thread was directed. Please do not steer it that way
Thank u

The answer is that you can't disable that feature. The best you can do is go in and lower the threshold for the second level battery alarm using the assistant software.

It doesn't necessarily auto land, it simply reduces the throttle and as result will start to descend unless you raise the throttle manually. You really want to be on the ground before this happens as it is a last ditch effort by your Phantom to get down before it no longer has the power to keep itself in the air.

LandYachtMedia said:
The answer is that you can't disable that feature. The best you can do is go in and lower the threshold for the second level battery alarm using the assistant software.

Thank you for the answer... Seems the lowest 2nd threshold allowed is 15% as the box is grayed out in the assistant software.....unless there's another way....

A more practical solution would be to install a small "emergency" battery that could be switched on via remote. You may have to move to a radio setup with more channels to make it work but it would be more doable than trying to hack the software in the controller.

LandYachtMedia said:
A more practical solution would be to install a small "emergency" battery that could be switched on via remote. You may have to move to a radio setup with more channels to make it work but it would be more doable than trying to hack the software in the controller.
yea I'm not about to get involved with attempting to hack software.....2nd battery is an idea as well maybe when they figure out a solution to the proprietary p2 battery that would b feasible ...

A smaller battery like this could give you a couple more minutes of flight. Add to that a RC switch to parallel the battery into the power input of the Phantom and you have an emergency power source. You will be paying the penalty for the added weight when you don't need the extra boost of power so it is far from a perfect solution.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=701

Re: way to disable

AlTiTuDe06 said:
I think my post explained why I want to... You can bypass the auto land with throttle when NOT in failsafe but while IN failsafe you cannot....for the sake of an additional 5% battery life I would like the extra insurance that my 2k investment makes a landing where I know where it is....I would never intentionally fly my bird down to 0% to risk the safety of others.. This is for extra protection in an emergency situation.. that is not where this thread was directed. Please do not steer it that way
Thank u

It's a great idea, but at a great risk. Once each cell in the battery reaches about 3.6 volts, the voltage drops exponentially. That extra 5% can be the threshhold, once you pass that your power will drop dramatically and very very quickly. Think about the battery like a cliff. The first 20 to 25 percent you are rolling on the cliff, once you fall off the cliff, thats the other 80 to 75%. You lose power that fast. You will not have 5%.

But... I'm not sure how the smart Phantom batteries are. They might be different but I doubt it.

Re: way to disable

AlTiTuDe06 said:
Thank u

So you're saying in a failsafe event, it should continue to fly toward home location while losing altitude?

This has more to do with navigation logic than energy usage\reserve.

The quad has a preprogrammed failsafe logic of 'fly to 20m or maintain attitude if higher, and fly home', so if it can't fulfil that promise, then it's deemed to have the least risk to (for everybody and the phantom itself) just fly vertically down than risk hitting trees\houses\cars\people.

Or maybe DJI can modify the logic to 'continue to fly home while losing altitude to 25-30m, then land vertically'; to account for momentum and low resolution\update of the altimeter.

I'd suggest increasing the first level alarm if you need more safety margin.

Thanks for all the feedback. strapping another battery to bird prob out of the question... I'll just have to make sure that I have enough % to return home...

wondering if there is a way to disable the auto land feature on second battery warning level....this in case of emergency for example if phantom 2 was in failsafe and 2nd level battery warning level was reached the unit would auto land wherever it was.. or if you had flown out to far and didnt have enough juice to make it home and needed a little more power, i know you can increase throttle to keep altitude but in failsafe there is no way to do that....sorry if it had been covered already but i could find anything on the phantom 2 about disabling it..

thanks

there is a way to disable it in the parameters'...I can send you a link showing how. but im not gonna post it here for all those self appointed drone cops to fuel their self-righteousness bantering, send me an private message with an email link, and then ill send you a link...otay? otay. "poof"

oh...and there are other parameters' than can be mod'ed such as disabling the NFZ, height restrictions, increasing vertical and horizontal speeds, and so on and on and on. only thing I ask is...be responsible for your bird, and don't go doing something stupid that would give all drone pilots another bad rap. fly responsibly. thanks...."poof"

send me an private message with an email link, and then ill send you a link...otay? otay. "poof"

You didn't notice the date on the last post before yours? 2014... I'm guessing you won't be getting a PM from the OP. "oops"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers