Way to change white gimbal dampers color?

Reaction score
I have searched but can't seem to find an answer. Has anyone came up with a good way to change the color of the 4 white rubber gimbal dampers? I really would like them black to match the rest of my Phantom better, but can't figure out a good way.
Was hoping a black sharpie would do the trick, but it doesn't. It rubs off to easy, is not that dark and does not go on even.
I used black plastikote paint for the white rubber USB port in the front but worry it would make them too stiff to work properly.

Any ideas that won't effect the performance of them?

d9c12dec19437479d79e0642f15b5c34.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: MasterBlaster
I was wondering about dying them. Thanks for the Amazon find. They look the exact same. I just ordered them and will let everyone know if they are the same. Thx again!

Reactions: dirkclod
I used 'poly-dye' on my P2 shell & TX. You can get it where they sell the regular stuff. Do it outside or in a garage or something as it has a strong odor. I assume the dampeners are rubber or silicone. Not sure what would work on those.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks! Yeah, prop guards never looked so sexy :).
Had it hydro dipped by a guy in Arkansas. I changed the shell over myself.
I also painted the other pieces with Black PlastiKote (I think it's called, I can look).
We had a lot of wind the past 2 days and I was worried about it, but had to fly. That's why I put the guards on.

Zeprider - I ordered those exact ones yesterday. I'll let you know if they are the same. From what I have read I am thinking they are going to be stiffer, we will see.
Thanks

Google hydrodipping, it will explain it better than I. In a nut shell, ink is placed on water and you dip the object in it, ink sticks to object, clear coat object, take new shell and remove all components from old shell and place in new. I love it! There are a few companies that do it. It's just not cheap to do. I paid $200. That included the shell. There are companies that sell the diy hydro kit and am thinking of doing a spare for myself. It is a lot of work though from what I hear. Yes it voided the warranty (shell change on my own) but a crash I had previously did that when I had to replace a motor. It was all my fault :). I made sure to add Plast-Aid to the shell, under the motors before I switched everything. I didn't want to worry about any possibility of cracks. Thanks again!

The props are the standard DJI carbon fiber reinforced. I painted the battery covers, sensor cover, prop guards, USB plug cover, gimbal/lense cover with plastikote paint from Home Depot. I think it is but krylon but I can look. I love the stuff.

7d1995db86a0927493836ed2a956a082.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Buzz rabbit
Yes, it's amazing! I talked to guy that did it, a lot. I will do the next one myself :). I am sure you could do it based on what he said and what I have read and watched.
He actually offered to do another for me for free if I would change a shell over for him...lol
So he is going to send me his P3 and new hydro dipped shell and I will switch everything over for him.
But, I also love this kind of stuff and want to do one my self :)

Btw - he did it with the diy kit! He just didn't have the nerve to take his apart to do the switch. So he sold it....

I was wrong about the paint I used for the other item (flat black).
It is called flexidip. Got it at Home Depot and it worked great on prop guards, battery end, lense cover, USB slot cover. Just think it will make the dampeners to stiff. We will see what the black ones are like that I ordered. They will be here tomorrow.
48d6ff1820b268c4fe86f2801b5c7d44.jpg

I have the link to the kit he used on my work computer. I'll post it tomorrow. Ve never hear of using rainX on props. Please tell :)

Well, I got the black dampeners in that I ordered from Amazon. They are much, much stiffer and bigger. They will fit, but I am worried about the stiffness. It takes all my strength to compress these. I will still test them this week and post my results. I am also testing some different paints on rubber and silicone to see what might work.
Here is a pic comparing the ones I ordered and the DJI ones -
69111272fe8cd3b50a5439847ae4598f.jpg
05c4102820980f822624d83943edd4a4.jpg

I ordered those same ones last week I didn't even think they would fit. I put a black carbon fiber skin on my shell and I thought it would look cool with the dampeners black. You can buy them black anywhere? I looked briefly but not that in depth

Funny you ask. I found a set that I ordered and they came in last week. It comes with 4 sets and one of them seems almost exact to the white ones, only black. I installed them and they have worked great. No jello, shake, etc. just like the white ones.
The company I bought them from is now out of them but I found the same item here -
DJI-H3-3D-42 Rubber Damper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20