Way Points Tutorial Video

What is use of waypoints if you have to fly the route first?
I am not being a cynic I really want to know how you guys are using it and why?
It seems to me the entire point of waypoints is to not have to fly the route right?

I think I mentioned this in the video (the 12:00 point referenced?). Forget that it's called Waypoint, as in prior versions.

You want to get video and/or photos of certain areas of things. You first fly the P3 out and pick out certain good spots for this purpose. You pick out the best spots with the right angles and height. You mark these areas. You can then have the have the P3 fly itself and you only need to control the camera. It's like someone else doing the flying. For example, like the Inspire 1 with two controllers and two pilots. You can concentrate on great camera work and not worry about flying a perfect circle, running into that tree, etc.

Use it like the Solo's cable cam.

Apps like Litchi add a lot to the Waypoint feature (you don't need to fly the route first, it can automatically include POI flight at waypoints, etc).

Yes, it's a little awkward mainly because it requires more battery usage but it really opens up possibilities.

I've (hopefully) attached an image showing the vertical and horizontal differences between waypoints, the horizontal difference matching the figure shown on screen from waypoint 2 onwards, and the distance the quad travels between waypoints, which corresponds to the distance shown on the right of the screen.

Wow--thanks for your input. It's always nice to have a mathematician/engineer in the forum.
Don't forget the P3 will make all those angles into smooth arcs. You'll need to add a few more feet. Only kidding - close enough!

I've (hopefully) attached an image showing the vertical and horizontal differences between waypoints, the horizontal difference matching the figure shown on screen from waypoint 2 onwards, and the distance the quad travels between waypoints, which corresponds to the distance shown on the right of the screen.

That is some amount of work you put into that graph! As far as I can see it answers the issue perfectly. Thank you very much for that!

As far as the data reported by the app... I think the "actually total distance travelled" reported in the pop up window is about worthless. Why would anyone need to know this? I don't see how it hurts to know this data but I can think of a lot better information to have the app report. Prior versions of waypoints used to report the height of each waypoint. I think this data is _far_ more useful then what is actually being reported in the pop up window.

Again, your information and work on this matter is outstanding!

Reactions: Dounin Front
Getting off topic with my original comment. The original post was a good one and thanks again for using your time to share.

The measurement shown by the waypoint on the map is the horizontal distance between waypoints. The distance on the right hand side is the actual distance travelled by the quad, calculated using Pythagorus with the horizontal distance between waypoints and the difference in altitudes between waypoints.
Thanks, I've been trying to work that out! Cheers

Once you have created a set of waypoints can you go in after the fact and edit them ie delete one or more points or add one or more?

TCOPE the tutorial publisher can tell us for sure, but I think we can only delete waypoints that were just entered. i.e. delete wp3 before you enter wp4 and/or before the mission is finalized by pressing "Done". Once finalized, the delete wp button is gone--just start over.

TCOPE the tutorial publisher can tell us for sure, but I think we can only delete waypoints that were just entered. i.e. delete wp3 before you enter wp4 and/or before the mission is finalized by pressing "Done". Once finalized, the delete wp button is gone--just start over.
Correct. The last waypoint cab be delete and this can be repeated to remove the prior waypoints one at a time but they cannot be edited/changed. Only delete one at a time in reverse order they were created.

Reactions: Dounin Front
wow thats not very progressive. i also see you cannot rename a mission. so if i got 18 missions for example 18 holes of golf for a flyby. how can i tell hole 7 from hole 15???
Yes it's a real shortcoming. I think you choose a previous mission by the embedded date in its name and view it on the map to see if it's the one you want. Not ideal to say the least!

All good, I might be a bit pedantic but if you are going to use phonetics, use the correct terminology. P is not "Paul" mode, it's "Papa" and F is not "Frank" it's "Foxtrot". Now I feel better getting that off my chest.
You are both correct. Military uses your phonetics Law Enforcement uses the names Adam, Charles, David, Edward, etc. Over the radio you hear mixed from both worlds

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As a newbie to the UAV field your video was full of great information. I have used the Point of Interest mode with success and can't wait to try the Waypoint mode with my Phantom 3 Pro. Good stuff! Thank you.

All good, I might be a bit pedantic but if you are going to use phonetics, use the correct terminology. P is not "Paul" mode, it's "Papa" and F is not "Frank" it's "Foxtrot". Now I feel better getting that off my chest.
Hopefully you'll never be Sierra October Lima :D

Hi pilots- I'm sure most of you have seen this video already, but in case you haven't, I just came across this video Todd Copeland put together on the Way points procedure and the rationale behind it. Definitely worth a look.
Great one qui.estion when saving can you name it or is it just a date. And where does it save it

Great video! I can't speak for anyone else but I seem to always pick up something new

Altitude is always vs the point I took off right? I would love to see an app that would also show the true altitude side by side. I have lots of foothills in my area and I think it would be really useful. Would it be difficult to incorporate? Would anyone else find it useful?

Thanks for posting the link to this. Love to see more!
I agree-- It could be confusing and dangerous (to the P3) to have the altitude above sea level displayed, instead of altitude above the ground being flown over.

Actually, as a police officer, I learned P is Paul and F is Frank. Just saying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik