Way point question

Reaction score
So, if I fly a mission with the dji go app and mark my way points, do I have to take off from the same general area to fly it again autonomously? Or could I take off say 1/2 mile away?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Use Litchi so you don't have to fly and mark your waypoints first. Preplan all your missions knowing the distance travelled and time it will take.

Use Litchi so you don't have to fly and mark your waypoints first. Preplan all your missions knowing the distance travelled and time it will take.
Thanks for the reply, I'm new to flying drones, so I'm a little apprehensive about flying with an app that didn't come with my p4. I've looked for info on the pros and cons of litchi but have not found anything that has relieved my apprehension. Any direction on this would be appreciated

Litchi is one of the best third party apps out there. Many people here use it with no problems. Once you use it, you may never use the DJI Go app again except for some basic settings and firmware updates. If you are uncomfortable using a third party app by all means stick with DJI Go. As with any third party apps DJI will most likely deny warranty issues if you are using it when an incident occurs. Given that, I still love Litchi and will use it over the Go app.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: bbuck
is litchi hard to learn? can I switch between the two if I want? I like the idea of pre planning a mission without having to fly it first, just seems to defeat the purpose of flying with way points. But can I program in what height I want the p4 at each waypoint? what direction the camera will be pointed? and for how long it remains at a waypoint? Does it fly direct or will it follow a programmed path? Lots of questions, and I"m sure they have been asked on here before. but thanks in advance.

No it is not hard to learn. Yes you can program altitude, heading, camera angle, speed. You can get very creative by stacking your waypoints and changing altitude and camera angles (reveal shots). Just make sure you double check all your settings and know the local terrain. I always make my first waypoint right where I launch and my last one at the same place. What is great about Litchi is that it will continue your mission even if it loses signal (that is why you should always have your last waypoint near your launch point). The first time you send it on a mission and you lose signal it is very nerve racking but then you hear and see it flying back to you and all is good. You need to learn to trust the technology and double check all your settings.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: bbuck
Litchi is good for specific missions. Otherwise, it makes flying my P4 boring. If I wanted to use Litchi all the time, I may as well go to the flying field with a lawn chair and just watch the other aircraft fly around while I do practically nothing.

Having said that, Litchi is very good for those certain situations. Most of my operations are Go app-based, with an occasional Litchi waypoint mission.

Reactions: Tommy Iversen
I use litchi all the time, I only use dji for facebook streaming and thats it. All my worst fears I had about litchi are now gone (such as setting up way points far away and losing signal... It carried on with the mission by the way and came home [emoji4]) only thing that confused me is directing how the aircraft faces in certain directions. But even that was soon solved. Believe me you will LOVE litchi

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

So, if I fly a mission with the dji go app and mark my way points, do I have to take off from the same general area to fly it again autonomously? Or could I take off say 1/2 mile away?

The craft only knows it's launch site as zero altitude. If you take off elsewhere you might get in trouble with altitude. If it's flat, then no problem, but that's rarely the case. If you have a good margin of altitude safety, this helps for what you want to do.

Litchi is good for specific missions. Otherwise, it makes flying my P4 boring. If I wanted to use Litchi all the time, I may as well go to the flying field with a lawn chair and just watch the other aircraft fly around while I do practically nothing.

Having said that, Litchi is very good for those certain situations. Most of my operations are Go app-based, with an occasional Litchi waypoint mission.

So, Waypoint is only one of Litchi's flight modes. You can fly FPV, just like DJI GO, but if you want to fly REAL FPV, pick up a pair of VR BOX goggles for $15. Open up Litchi, select FPV, click VR mode and slip your iPhone into the goggles. THAT won't leave you bored. Otherwise, with Litchi you can fly any of the other modes that DJI GO is capable of, with at least a few cool improvements.

If you're saying that Waypoint mode is boring, then yeah. Waypoint mode is about the best possible video, not exciting R/C flying. In that case, photography is the hobby, not R/C flying. But many of us bought these drones as photography tools, not things to fly for the sake of flying. Even if flying is the reason you have a quadcopter, let's face it, flying an automated Phantom 4 with its sophisticated electronics is not exciting R/C nor is it particularly challenging. If you're not into the photography at all, get a racing quad. THAT is about exciting flying. And it will cost you quite a bit less than a Phantom.

As to Litchi vs DJI GO, I think GO is very well implemented software, but its feature set is kind of lame compared to at least a couple of the known, reliable, flight control apps that are available for not very much money. IMHO, one of the smartest things that DJI has done is open up that software and supplying an SDK.

Last edited:
Got a question for anyone still watching this threat lol it's not very old so I'll give it a shot rather than starting a new thread. K so I'm considering purchasing litchi and have read somewhere (been reading allbi can find on litchi) that phantoms firmware needs to be the most current. I'm using a p3s and I like 1.6.8 I have never had any issues with it and actually hit my current distance record with the standard completely stock, I got out to slightly over 5200 ft so right at a mile on stock p3s I was pretty impressed. So I really don't want to update to the new 1.7.9 firmware that was just released I firmly believe if it isn't broke don't fix it and leave we'll enough alone lol. So will I be able to purchase litchi and use it or would that require me to update phantom firmware if I want to use litchi? Second question I bought a Samsung s5 didn't add service plan to it and will only be putting litchi on that phone as my phone ended up not having a gyroscope so it won't work for fpv vr, so if any of you use the s5 how does it perform with litchi in your experiences? Thanks for any input and happy flying.

Got a question for anyone still watching this threat lol it's not very old so I'll give it a shot rather than starting a new thread. K so I'm considering purchasing litchi and have read somewhere (been reading allbi can find on litchi) that phantoms firmware needs to be the most current. I'm using a p3s and I like 1.6.8 I have never had any issues with it and actually hit my current distance record with the standard completely stock, I got out to slightly over 5200 ft so right at a mile on stock p3s I was pretty impressed. So I really don't want to update to the new 1.7.9 firmware that was just released I firmly believe if it isn't broke don't fix it and leave we'll enough alone lol. So will I be able to purchase litchi and use it or would that require me to update phantom firmware if I want to use litchi? Second question I bought a Samsung s5 didn't add service plan to it and will only be putting litchi on that phone as my phone ended up not having a gyroscope so it won't work for fpv vr, so if any of you use the s5 how does it perform with litchi in your experiences? Thanks for any input and happy flying.
I like the sayings, "if it ain't up-to-date but works, don't update.", and "If it ain't up-to-date and an update does what you want, update it."

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but if you find that Litchi requires a specific firmware version, then you can always test it out, since you can rollback your aircraft to the previous version (generally speaking). I have a P4, so things may be different with your aircraft.

p.s. I use Litchi (not all the time), and it does what it advertises...and does it well!

Thanx and like the sayings lol. Well I downloaded litchi onto a galaxy s5 without anything else on it just factory stuff and litchi, not even going to put dji go on it. It seems to work we'll everything starts right up and connects with no issues. Can't fly as it's been windy here last couple days but I'll give it a test once weather permits. I didn't update phantom firmware to the new 1.7.9 it's still 1.6.8 as I like that version it's had no issues for me (knock on wood lol) so we'll see if litchi performs without phantom firmware being current. Wish me luck haha and if anyone knows of an issue I may have by not updating firmware pls let me know, thx

I find that except for specific DJI issues (IMU calibration, Gimbal Calibration etc) I like the Litchi App better, It's camera controls are a bit more flexible ie Exposure bracketing one can choose +/- 1 or +/- 2 which makes manual HDR a bit better. I do miss the little Radar screen from the go App (IOS) but the mini map works in a pinch. Since DJI went to HERE maps with DJI Go and Litchi still has Google I use Litchi 99% of the time.

Wind let up a bit so took it out for a test, the s5 and litchi performed flawlessly, I didn't do any features like way points etc just flew around, I like the ui aloy better than go and I had 5 more satellites as opposed to what I normally have on go. Signal strength seemed steadier, I did click the goggles icon and it switched right over to vr split screen but goggles were inside but that worked no problems. So far I'm liking it and can't wait till nice weather to try out the waypoints etc . Thanks for all the responses and happy flying :)

You can do a simple waypoint mission. Create one (or two waypoints), have it fly to it and back. It can be just 100 feet away at a height of 30 feet or something similar.

BTW, your aircraft can handle more wind than you think. I was flying my P4 in 30 MPH winds on Sunday (23.6 at around 89.9 feet altitude and then 29.8 MPH at 392.1 feet). This was a 1.47 mile flight.

I am currently learning it. It is much like DJI GO. It has a screen recorder which is nice. The Hub looks like some thing I have been looking for, if I understand correctly. For remote areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan