Way better range with new update and firmware

Just started using my new Phantom 4, been pairing it with my 2013 version Nexus 7. Why is there a seeming dislike for this tablet? It seems recommended by DJI directly too... and it SEEMS fine for me? I guess I don't know what I don't know!

Tested a new Phantom 4 with all the latest firmware updates for the Phantom & DJI Go app.

I'm happy to say it flew 11,000 feet before I turned back around and I don't remember the video dropping a single frame the whole time the signal was good which is so much better than the constant video dropping out and green blotches on the screen constantly with the previous updates.

I'm very happy with the performance of everything now.

What device were you using to control your P4? Also, were you in a wide open area? The best range I'm getting is 1000 ft if im lucky

Another flight tonight with little wind with the P4 + ItElite Maxx antenna and got out to 13,000 feet with full signal before RTH was triggered. I was flying around before I tried for range so I'm sure I can go longer.

The video feed is SO much more stable. It dropped out only a few times when I lost total signal in one direction. It's so much more enjoyable now.

Derek - I am using a iPad Air 2. The area is city with tons of power lines & a few cell towers. I was flying about 500 feet high when I got out past 7500 feet. I was following open highway surrounded by corn fields but tons of power lines along that way.

I landed with 6% battery left on a brand new battery.

Another flight tonight with little wind with the P4 + ItElite Maxx antenna and got out to 13,000 feet with full signal before RTH was triggered. I was flying around before I tried for range so I'm sure I can go longer.

The video feed is SO much more stable. It dropped out only a few times when I lost total signal in one direction. It's so much more enjoyable now.

Derek - I am using a iPad Air 2. The area is city with tons of power lines & a few cell towers. I was flying about 500 feet high when I got out past 7500 feet. I was following open highway surrounded by corn fields but tons of power lines along that way.

I landed with 6% battery left on a brand new battery.

Awesome thank you. So do power lines + cell towers make it more difficult to fly long distances? (Sorry I'm new to this, just got mine today haha)

My new range record with stock equipment P4. No mods, no windsurfers, no boosters, no nothing.

6.533km (4.05 miles or 21433 feet).

Attachments

• 6500m.jpg
    6500m.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 397
Just started using my new Phantom 4, been pairing it with my 2013 version Nexus 7. Why is there a seeming dislike for this tablet? It seems recommended by DJI directly too... and it SEEMS fine for me? I guess I don't know what I don't know!

Thats what I am using also...how is your video? I get the splotches and lines in the beginning...and some lag once and awhile...froze and rebooted on me the other day after the new firmware.....

Reactions: Skipholiday
Well since this topic seems to have turned off topic about tablets:confused::p:p:p.........I might as well ask my question o_O

To all you long range flyers, what mode do you fly out and back in? Also, what happens on the way back if you're super far out and RTH gets triggered and it doesn't fly back fast enough?

I read about someone who flew out in sport mode and naturally got farther out than they should have when RTH was triggered but in RTH mode it didn't fly back fast enough to cover the same ground he'd traveled on the way out in Sport mode.

I'm not a distance flyer so I'd rather ask than test it :D

Thats what I am using also...how is your video? I get the splotches and lines in the beginning...and some lag once and awhile...froze and rebooted on me the other day after the new firmware.....
Are you sure the interference isn't your location? I also have a Nexus 7 and use it on my P3pro and P4 without issue.
(have an Nvidia Shield but don't use it as often due to the extra weight)

16,300 feet!

It was done at the same location as before where I'd get about 10,000 feet max.

Also, video transmissions issues are gone
Eyecon82, are you saying you got a 38% increase in range just by doing the updates? You were never able to get beyond 10k feet before under any circumstances before? On my P4 using the windsurfer only, I have gotten out over 23,000 using the older 2.71 Go App with good signal, but I had to return because of battery....its hard to imagine what could have changed to increase range by so much, unless they upped the power on the RC and P4 Video from the P4?...Thanks for sharing

Awesome thank you. So do power lines + cell towers make it more difficult to fly long distances? (Sorry I'm new to this, just got mine today haha)

Yea the more radio spectrum pollution the less range you will get. This is why you can fly further in open unpopulated areas than city environments.

Think of this as trying to talk with somebody in a restaurant that is very noisy because of all the other people talking on a busy Friday night and compare that to how loud you would have to talk to your partner in a dead empty restaurant on a non busy day.

You need the better antenna to go further in noisy environments and over water and less noisy environments you can go further than the battery will allow with just the stock remote controller.

The ItElite antennas focus the radio energy into a single direction which usually allows you to fly further with a better signal than using just the stock antennas that radiate the radio signal in all directions.

Eyecon82, are you saying you got a 38% increase in range just by doing the updates? You were never able to get beyond 10k feet before under any circumstances before? On my P4 using the windsurfer only, I have gotten out over 23,000 using the older 2.71 Go App with good signal, but I had to return because of battery....its hard to imagine what could have changed to increase range by so much, unless they upped the power on the RC and P4 Video from the P4?...Thanks for sharing

For me the latest update made a huge difference signal reliability. Before it would cut out much more often which would trigger the RTH more often.

For me the latest update made a huge difference signal reliability. Before it would cut out much more often which would trigger the RTH more often.
What were using previously to the current update? When you say update, is that the FW on both the bird and controller and also the GO App? Are you referring to the P4? Thanks

I had issues with the previous update before the latest Apple iOS DJI Go App & Phantom 4 Firmware updates. I'm running the latest firmware for everything now.

I had issues with the previous update before the latest Apple iOS DJI Go App & Phantom 4 Firmware updates. I'm running the latest firmware for everything now.
Yes, I know many people reported problems with 2.82, but previous to that I haven't heard too many complaints regarding range issues. So either it is back the way it was before, or they have actually somehow increased efficiency or increased power....

Mine is the latest nexus 7 2013....runs everything else well...wondering if it is causing my video issues now?

I'm telling you man. It's your tablet. Get a new one and you will be much happier. Even the newest nexus 7 is 3 years old

Just do your self a favor and upgrade tablets.

Yes I am saying that. I live in a wifi congested suburb of Chicago, and that map you see is right next to Woodfield mall, which is a huge metropolitan area.

Perhaps you love in a rural area?

Well I'm very disappointed in the flight distance using the ItElite got to 775 ft. and lost video signal have not had good results since I've installed it, so if anyone is looking to do this mod mine will be for sale, going to put the original antennas back on.

Well I'm very disappointed in the flight distance using the ItElite got to 775 ft. and lost video signal have not had good results since I've installed it, so if anyone is looking to do this mod mine will be for sale, going to put the original antennas back on.
I was having similar results. Replaced the cables in the RC today and flew to battery limit 16,100' away. I didn't have the connectors tight enough initially and think got damaged when they twisted a bit.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4