Waterproof Phantom?

Reaction score
DSLRPros offers a DJI Phantom treated with Liquipel, a substance that resists water. Originally intended to waterproof mobile phones, Liquipel looks like a neat solution that just might protect your Phantom from a quick dunk in the lake.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN4wb-wovlU[/youtube]

Ultra ever dry is another waterproofing coating. I don't think it will be too effective as the phantom shell has holes and gaps for ventilation, sealing them up could cause issues.

I was thinking about the NeverWet, not so much for the skin but to coat the electronic parts and boards, at least anywhere that water could stay in and damage and for any connectors.

ogmios said:
I was thinking about the NeverWet, not so much for the skin but to coat the electronic parts and boards, at least anywhere that water could stay in and damage and for any connectors.

Last week while shopping at Home Depot, they had a display set-up, so I went ahead and purchased the product.

Finally today I had time to spray down all my circuit boards. Had taken my Phantom apart to do some upgrades and a few changes.

Installed Futaba T8J, swapped ESC assembly to have my marker light red left and green right instead front to back, cut a few holes to put several connectors epoxied into the lower shell to make plugging in my Arris gimbal easier, used spare power out for gimbal.

Haven't tried wetting down my Phantom yet to test if I fry anything, but coating the components and inside the shell didn't harm anything, even my gimbal electronics were done.

Bruce
Haven't tried wetting down my Phantom yet to test if I fry anything, but coating the components and inside the shell didn't harm anything, even my gimbal electronics were done.[/quote]

Thanks Bruce. Please post an update if you get the nerve to dunk your Phantom, or do it accidentally :D

Anyone used ( CorrosionX Red Spray Can ). I have been using this on my RC seaplanes and boat electronics for a couple of years. Its a lubricant thats does not affect electronics or plastic. I get it locally at true value hardware. I have sprayed speedcontrols inside servos etc. And have never had a water related failure to this point.

lots of ideas here and info - but has anyone carried any of them out? Can we send our phantoms to liquipel and have them treat them? (and for how much?)

DSLRPROs told me they no longer offer liquipel because it is not compatible with the Phantom2s. Bought one of their kits today and wanted it waterproofed due to over water flights. Looking for others that have found success in this area.

I talked to the guy from aquacopters,and they have started selling ready to fly models with naza for around 850$ depending on what extras you want,have seriously thought of getting one for my next quad.

I like the Aquacopters... There has to be a DJI option at some point. Too many great over water shots and the resulting market not to has some smart people solve this issue.

Gotta wonder what "not compatible with the Phantom2s" means. It's just electronics. Seems like it should work.
I figure "not compatible" means that DJI didn't pay Liquipel enough money to advertise their solution.

Plus... if Liquipel'ing an iPhone is $80, I can't imagine what a Phantom would be.

BruceTS said:
Last week while shopping at Home Depot, they had a display set-up, so I went ahead and purchased the product.

Finally today I had time to spray down all my circuit boards. Had taken my Phantom apart to do some upgrades and a few changes.

Installed Futaba T8J, swapped ESC assembly to have my marker light red left and green right instead front to back, cut a few holes to put several connectors epoxied into the lower shell to make plugging in my Arris gimbal easier, used spare power out for gimbal.

Haven't tried wetting down my Phantom yet to test if I fry anything, but coating the components and inside the shell didn't harm anything, even my gimbal electronics were done.

I love this idea. Any update on this? Anyone else try this? I am curious to see if it lasts or damages the electronics or sensitive sensors?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik