waterproof case for fc40 camera?

Reaction score
Anybody know if there is a waterproof case for the fc40 camera? I'd like to rig something up so I can hover over water and dip the camera in for underwater footage.

Before you make any plans to use the FC40 camera, READ the forums on the HELO effect of quadcopter that close to the ground or water in your case. You might want to re-think your plans.

jerrymac12000 said:
Before you make any plans to use the FC40 camera, READ the forums on the HELO effect of quadcopter that close to the ground or water in your case. You might want to re-think your plans.
I've flown low to the water several times before and haven't had any issues with it, but as a safety precaution I'll probably setup some floating landing gear as well. After looking into it more, I think a gopro would be the best option as for the waterproof camera, and then I'll work on the extension for the camera. I know it'll still be risky but if it works out it should make for an interesting video.

I was thinking about trying this just by hanging my iphone in its waterproof case on a 5-6 foot long line below my Phantom.

jerrymac12000 said:
Just be careful. Flying over the water and hovering over the water are two different things, each producing different results.
I guess I was taking about doing more of a hover and dip rather than flying. Flying with a camera in the water just sounds like a horrible idea. So in other words, I'm gonna teabag the water phantom style. :lol:

kitari said:
jerrymac12000 said:
Just be careful. Flying over the water and hovering over the water are two different things, each producing different results.
I guess I was taking about doing more of a hover and dip rather than flying. Flying with a camera in the water just sounds like a horrible idea. So in other words, I'm gonna teabag the water phantom style. :lol:

I've actually thought a lot about flying with a suspended camera... if you rig it correctly to keep the camera oriented well, you'd have a much smoother shot than being hard mounted to the vibetastic phantom.

That may work. If you go into a hover mode, then keep the quad at least 4 feet above the water. Even higher if the water is splashing. Electric motors and water don't mix very well. The other thing is limiting take off weight to no more than 1200 grams. Much above that and your battery flight will decrease big time.

Gonna have to go test this stuff out in the pool before I head out to the beach! :shock:

jerrymac12000 said:
That may work. If you go into a hover mode, then keep the quad at least 4 feet above the water. Even higher if the water is splashing. Electric motors and water don't mix very well. The other thing is limiting take off weight to no more than 1200 grams. Much above that and your battery flight will decrease big time.

I was thinking about trying to make a lightweight aluminum pole type of thing to keep the weight down. Before I take it to the lake, I was going to do a few flight tests to record average flight times, and then use a bucket of water for the dip test so if things go bad, it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for all the advice though, probably not gonna start on it just yet as I still need the gopro and all that, but hopefully I'll be posting an update and a guide to how I did everything if it turns out to be a successful project. Also still thinking of more ideas and options.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues