Waterfall Flying Concerns

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm fairly new to drone flying, but have been having a great time so far. I've got the phantom 3 standard, along looking to upgrade to the Mavic Pro soon.

My question is I am looking at doing some shots around big waterfalls, I've got quite a few nice ones here in Oregon to choose from. I was wanting to know how concerned I should be about the mist that comes off these big falls. I know the drones are not waterproof, and that rain is a big concern. How worried should I be about the mist from the falls impacting my drone?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The first thing will be fine drops on the lens will spoil the shot.
It won't be immediate disaster to get a few spots on the outside.
The motors are unlikely to be affected but inside those vents on the side is a mass of circuit boards and tiny components which could soon do strange things if drops get on them

The Standard is by no means waterproof but I think it could stand a bit of drizzle. I have no idea about the Mavic though.

There are 2 things holding me back from ordering the Mavic, that the DJI Go app shits the bed on my Samsung S7 Edge (makes the phone keep rebooting) and because it's not waterproof.

I hike and bike in the rainforest, so I'd vastly prefer to throw my money at something more waterproof. I was really hoping Gopro would nail that with the Karma, but they didn't so I can't justify the price over my already capable Standard. The Mavic is worth the upgrade but I HATE how they've still made no effort to protect it from puddles or rain.

$1000 item for use outdoors, but don't get it wet or it self destructs? Plain stupid.

It will be fresh water so a bit of a misting should not prove fatal. I would try and keep things dry though.

Your bigger issue will be poor or no GPS lock. Be prepared to keep a close eye on things and be ready to fly manually. Trees tend to be your enemy here. Hasn't stopped me around waterfalls though. Can get some great angles.

Yes, GPS problems, spots on the lens.
@KevBot, Welcome to the forum, Learn how to fly Atti for when you have no GPS. This also helps deciding what the winds are at your flight height, keep in mind the wind drafts around those waterfalls.

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik