Water Recovery Solutions?

Reaction score
Howdy! I have had no issues with my P2V, but as I fly more and more over water, I get some pucker-factor. Has anyone looked for / found a SMALL automatic inflation device? Maybe a pet-sized one?

I have seen people reference Getterback and the WaterBuoy, but I don't have confidence that will really work like an automatic CO2 PFD type of device will. I realize that the Phantom might not be in great shape after going in the drink, but I'd rather have a fighting chance than just a burial at sea.

Just looking for thoughts / suggestions. I ordered the small version of this:

http://www.crittersinflatable.com/purchasing.php

I'll see how / what I can potentially do.

I couldn't find where to buy a Waterbuoy so contacted them last week and this was there reply

Dear Neil
Thank you for your enquiry. We decided to halt production on the Waterbuoy last year whilst we re-designed it to develop a new and improved range.
We are currently in the process of finalising the new design and are hoping to start producing them towards the middle to end of this year.
I will add you to our mailing list and be sure to let you know when the new units will be available in stores!
Many thanks for your patience and your continued interest in our product. Please keep in touch…

Kind regards

Lucy and the Waterbuoy Team

I use a waterbuoy to protect a marine band VHF radio - sounds like from what I have read and the fact they have stopped making them temporarily that it might not work if needed ! Even when they have fixed it I not think it would be an ideal solution because the Phantom would be suspended submerged under the balloon part. Some kind of buoyancy like bottles sound best.

After a lot of umm'ing and ah'ing I've decided to try something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWJvfJXsiYs

Without any proof at all, I have a suspicion that this shape offers the greatest (but still slim) chance
of landing right-side-up, or settling that way. Especially if I bevel the outer edges on the underside.

I think the water bottle-inspired designs would be great if you were intentionally landing on water,
but in an uncontrolled descent, more likely to land, topple, and end upside down.

I've ordered some foam:
http://www.eckersleys.com.au/products/c ... -styrofoam

And a hot wire knife:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELECTRIC-CUT ... 4d9&_uhb=1

And some landing gear extensions so the camera doesn't automagically end up underwater:
http://www.aerialtechnology.com/shop/at ... xtensions/

Going to make some prototypes to test and refine the design, then create a template
and get a few professionally cut by some cnc place.

On top of that, in case of major disaster I'll have the Getterback strapped to the leg
so that I can raise it from the depths.

Ok - i found a place that will do some custom work for me on a recovery pouch with an automatic inflator. I'll share more information on the success or failure of this (admittedly) crazy concept. I have too man planned shoots over water coming up this summer to just plan on leaving it on the bottom if something goes south.

szobell said:
Ok - i found a place that will do some custom work for me on a recovery pouch with an automatic inflator. I'll share more information on the success or failure of this (admittedly) crazy concept. I have too man planned shoots over water coming up this summer to just plan on leaving it on the bottom if something goes south.

Not a crazy concept, and I'm anxious to see what they're able to work out for you...you might have just brought a whole new market to them.

It's the same concept the waterbuoy was supposed to deliver, but I think this will require a solution custom-made for small UAV's like this.

Good to hear.

My flying is 90% over water, and I've also been trying to make some kind of inflatable lifejacket.

Till now all prototypes are still way to heavy.

Looking forward of what they will make!

szobell said:

Co2 bike tyre inflator, large balloon round the outlet, large elastic band round the trigger to keep the gas on, pushed in between the trigger is a steradent tablet. (anything that dissolves with water)
When it hits the water the tablet dissolves, releases the trigger and inflates the balloon.
Problem is could they get it small enough.

I've looked at a few different Ideas but they all seem to restrict the camera view in some way, don't suppose you can have it all.

I might try a sustained float type of solution if I cannot get a simple recovery solution working. I just want to try and keep it as clean looking as possible. My goal is to *not* land in the water :)

I've used pool noodles and they work well. They make for soft landings and take offs, and saved my butt on a wet upside down landing on a river from a tree encounter. Gopro flung off and phantom floated, upside down though. Recovered the gopro and dried it out, all worked well except wifi-remote no longer operable. Phantom was fine after drying out, even the battery was unaffected. Amazing.

Ok - I have an EXTREMELY rough prototype. I tested it with a 5lb weight which is WAYYY more than the Phantom, but I wanted to be sure. The bladder is designed for a 12g cartridge (which floated the 5lb just fine) but I wanted to test it with an 8g cartridge to see if it floated it as well, that is why the bladder doesn't look fully inflated. Needless to say, it was successful. I am going to create a smaller bladder so I don't have the extra weight.

The entire bladder and auto inflator is kept in a little velcro pouch as seen here:

Here it is with the pouch closed and attached to the weight:

Here is a video of testing in in the tub. (Yes, those are socks over the ends of the weights to protect the tub). As you can see it inflates within a few seconds of entering the water and has no problem pulling it up to the surface.

http://youtu.be/YIJK5_nU9e8

Note - YES - I know this doesn't protect the Phantom. This is simply something I want to have for when i fly over water as a last-ditch recovery so I at least have a chance of seeing what is salvageable. I have a few trips planned this summer that will take me well beyond the depths that a recovery with a string has a chance in heck of working for me.

Right now it comes in weighing 200g (most of the weight is obviously from the inflator mechanism). I have flown with it and no handling issues, but it was too windy to really get an idea of what it has done to my potential flight time.

I will now be working to make it smaller and more compact. Once i have done that, if anyone is interested I'll post the cost to see if others want one as well.

Attachments

• ZZ In Pouch.jpg
    ZZ In Pouch.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 489
  • ZZ With Weight.jpg
    ZZ With Weight.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 464
I plan on testing in in a pool this week. From my initial tests - it looks like it deploys within about 2-3 seconds of submersion. I have yet to see how a Phantom submerges, but I am guessing not NEARLY as fast as a 5lb lead weight... I think actually think it might deploy before it submerges all the way. Now my mind is working on how to ensure it inflates to put it upright and out of the water as soon as possible...

I'll definitely update once I have more information.

szobell said:
I plan on testing in in a pool this week. From my initial tests - it looks like it deploys within about 2-3 seconds of submersion. I have yet to see how a Phantom submerges, but I am guessing not NEARLY as fast as a 5lb lead weight... I think actually think it might deploy before it submerges all the way. Now my mind is working on how to ensure it inflates to put it upright and out of the water as soon as possible...

I'll definitely update once I have more information.

Roger that. I would try using a 3-pound bag of rice or something similar maybe, which would be a bit under 1400g and a fair comparison to a heavily-loaded Phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31