Water Proof Conversion

dkr77573 said:
The guys at DieHardRCAddicts have done exactly what you're planning. Including the installation of heatsinks. Search YouTube for their channel... Great stuff. They posted a video of their aquacopter in action, including high altitude splash downs.

Thank you for that, I was going to mount my heat sinks on the bottom but now it makes sense to mount on the top.

I am moving slowly but deliberately, I am using M3 machine screws with locking nuts to keep the motors in place. I was able to use hemostats to get the nut on the inside of the Dex. I decided to keep the wires separate as the heat shrink almost makes a perfect seal going into the arm. Just a little bit of marine sealant is all I will need.

8709728_orig.jpg

8641169_orig.jpg

I got the motors soldered to wire extensions and installed. Now to fit all the electronics and heat sinks.

3039379_orig.jpg

I did a temporary install of all the electronics and hooked it up to the Naza Assistant, all looks good. The motors spool up nicely and actually turn in the correct direction :) I should be doing a test flight tomorrow! I am going to try it with the compass and antenna in the unit. I am also going to wait on the heat sinks.

876174_orig.jpg

Still following this with great interest. I see this being a fun/challenging project for me someday.

I'm curious about a few things:

- Where/how are you mounting the receiver antenna?
- Is that the battery you're going to fly with? I imagine it'll be quite a challenge to get that in there and on the CG
- What's the total weight w/batt and no payload?

You seem to be doing great so far, I especially like the look of the Phantom's LED lens on that body

OI Photography said:
Still following this with great interest. I see this being a fun/challenging project for me someday.

I'm curious about a few things:

- Where/how are you mounting the receiver antenna?
- Is that the battery you're going to fly with? I imagine it'll be quite a challenge to get that in there and on the CG
- What's the total weight w/batt and no payload?

You seem to be doing great so far, I especially like the look of the Phantom's LED lens on that body

Thanks, My first test flights will be with the antenna inside, if that does not work well I will have to move it outside the shell.

That is the battery I will be using, it does fit snuggly directly in the middle of the shell.

I will have to find someplace to accurately weigh it, I do not have anything that goes that high.

If you're adjusting gains, I'd start by lowering the basic gains for pitch and roll a bit and testing. However, it could be due to the compass readings, where do you have it mounted? And, did you do the "compass dance" before that flight?

Looks good Jim.
Two questions:
What is your total weight and does it float?

OI Photography said:
If you're adjusting gains, I'd start by lowering the basic gains for pitch and roll a bit and testing. However, it could be due to the compass readings, where do you have it mounted? And, did you do the "compass dance" before that flight?

I do the compass dance before every flight. I started off with the compass inside the shell, I moved it outside and it made no difference. I then realized I had the GPS module on the lid upside down!!! Dohhhh. I still did lower the basic gains from 125 to 100. I may bring them back now that the GPS is mounted properly. I will fly some more tomorrow and then do some test flights out of a heated pool before I try it in the river or Gulf of Mexico.

) said:
Looks good Jim.
Two questions:
What is your total weight and does it float?

I will take it to a local postal place to have it weighed in the next day or to. My guess is that it might weigh more than a Phantom due to using a dozen bullet connectors to be able to connect the ESC's to the motors. I really hope it floats as that is the reason I built it :) I have to get the flight characteristics set correctly before I put it in the H2O.

I think you would have to really weigh it down a lot to prevent it to float. It seems to have a nice large displacement hull shape for its weight.

Ksc said:
I think you would have to really weigh it down a lot to prevent it to float. It seems to have a nice large displacement hull shape for its weight.

I agree and will show videos/photos when I do it.

It floats in my sink with my go pro and floaty back on top. I would think that with the go pro and floaty on the bottom where it belongs it would float even better. Add the salinity of the Gulf of Mexico and it might not even touch the water :)

4576847_orig.jpg

Nice job. Have you done any range tests with the antenna inside the body? Did you incorporate the heat sinks yet?

dkr77573 said:
Nice job. Have you done any range tests with the antenna inside the body? Did you incorporate the heat sinks yet?

I have not flown it past the limits I set in Naza yet ( 20 meters high and 60 meters radius). It is still a bit squirely and I think I need to set the gains down a bit. That could also have to do with not flying it in an open space or where I have the compass placed. I did mount the compass outside adjacent to #4 motor, properly sealed for water intrusion. I have not installed the heat sinks and have had it flying around (mostly hovering) for up to 8 minutes without seeing any issues. The motors are warm but not hot. It seems the fiber glass dissipates the heat well.

I'd be worried about putting the compass (a magnetometer) next to an electromagnet containing motor. Glad everything is working so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj